1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my Roo today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jamsoundsgood, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Jamsoundsgood

Jamsoundsgood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I went out to change the water and all my girls were there, but not my roo! So I went and walked the fence line and sure enough there was a big pile of feathers by one of the fences and a smaller pile of feathers much closer to my barn. Just feathers, nothing else. This is the second bird this week, since I lost a slw two days ago. I never really looked for any sign for her. They free-range all day and I didn't find out she was gone until after dark (when my husband told me the count was off). I'm really upset about the rooster though, I hate the idea of sending the girls out without him. He was quiet, nice, and watched the skies.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry about your roo. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

What a bummer, sorry! Don't you wish you could know what happened? I hate mysteries.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Your birds will be picked off one by one, now that someone knows where the free food is, unless you can secure them. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    I Agree With Last Post Once A Killer Shows Up And Kills They Will Be Back Until All Is Gone I Had This Problem But After The 1st One I Set Up A Ambush And Took Care Of Killer I Guess Thats The Hunter In Me But I Can't Expect My Roo To Fight By Him Self He Has Me To Help.

6. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

If the bird was snatched during the day, it sounds like a coyote or fox, maybe a dog.
    And yes,,,they will come back for the KFC!!!!!

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    So sorry to hear this!!

Hugs
    Missi

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sounds like your roo did his job....he probably tried to stand his ground while the girls got away.

You need to confine those girls, set traps and get rid of the predator...it will come back until you kill it or it kills all the chickens.

I am so sorry for your loss.

9. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Exactly....traps, and a 12 gauge!

10. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:This is so true!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by