Lost my Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bacpacker, Mar 19, 2013.

1. bacpacker

bacpacker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    I'm not sure this is the rigth area for this thread, but I thought it would work here.

My wife called this morning and told me our rooster was dead. There was no sign of trauma. We were out with the birds yesterday making improvments on the fence and he was acting like he always did. He was a good size Buff Orpington just short of two years old.

My question is this. How old do chickens/roosters typically live? I would have guessed 4-6 years, certainly not 2. Am I missing something here?

2. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    I am really sorry about your rooster. I had a similar case once. And she actually died right in front of me. There is a some what rare condition that chickens get and I forget what it is called but its a heart condition. I cant remember what exactly happens to the heart but the heart does fail and the chicken just dies on the spot. But luckily the chicken doesn't feel the pain.

So Thats what might have happened to your rooster. Once again I'm very sorry

1 person likes this.
  3. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    So I guess what Im trying to say is That I don't think your rooster died of old age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by