Lost my shade tree...ideas?

Kaylin

Chirping
Feb 14, 2016
Big bend area Florida
So early spring, I built this cute little garden coop from the plans and I picked the best shady spot and all was well until a month or two ago when the morning shade tree (a very large beech tree) fell over on the neighbor's house.

It's an empty house so I didn't really care but was more curious as to how long they were going to leave it there (it's still there). However, as summer bakes on, I'm realizing that my coop is getting full sun now until about noon when my own beech trees start giving it afternoon shade.

I wouldn't worry but this is Texas and it's freaking hot.

The coop has clear panels on the roof with a gap for air below. The actual roof of the coop is hardware cloth. I'm thinking I should swap out the roof panels for plywood.

What do ya'll think? Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Thinking about running some lattice horizontal from just below the roof overhang over to the fence. Then maybe cut some lattice to fit between the rafters and lay it on top of the hardware cloth. I don't think that will interfere with air flow much.

The clear panels act like glass this time of year. I would go over it with some type of shade cloth. I dumpster dive at the neighborhood window covering installer and find large window shades that I use over the run. Costco also sells 13x13x13 shade sails for $20.

The clear panels act like glass this time of year. I would go over it with some type of shade cloth. I dumpster dive at the neighborhood window covering installer and find large window shades that I use over the run. Costco also sells 13x13x13 shade sails for $20.

Ooooo, shade sail. Not a bad idea. Not sure I have room to erect one right there but I will ponder it.

I'm not too worried about the clear panels holding onto heat so much because the coop is basically open air and gets a lot of nice breeze. I'm just more worried about the sun itself and the girls not having much shade that time of day.

I generally have them out for an hour or two mid morning in their run before I go to work which helps but my schedule varies and they can't always get out in their shady run when the sun is beating down on the coop. I only let them in their fenced run when I'm home to watch because it is open top and I have hawks.

you could also check HD/Lowe's and see if they have any paint that would stick to it.
maybe rustoleum spray paint.
Paint white to reflect some of that heat.

you could also check HD/Lowe's and see if they have any paint that would stick to it.
maybe rustoleum spray paint. 
Paint white to reflect some of that heat.

You know, I did think about that but it leaks a bit too in places where I don't want it leaking so if I'm going to have to get up there and fix leaks from the top and scrub it clean and paint it, I might as well change it out, lol.

Back
Top Bottom