Lost my Silkie :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Delilah1337, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    [​IMG]

Can someone tell me I'm wrong in thinking this little egg died? This was just candled at the end of day 8. I knew there was a chance the egg wouldnt develop to fully develop but when I checked it the other day it looked great. This is my first incubation so I'm hoping I'm just looking at it wrong but based on all the other pictures I've seen, this is the red ring of death. [​IMG]

2. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    aww, i'm so sorry. That is what mine all looked like when they quit on me with my last hatch. All silkies as well. It was heartbreaking. I don't know what went wrong with yours, I think mine was issues with the air cells.

3. Delilah1337

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I got 3 eggs from a guy on here who's hen had just started laying. I could tell after a few days that 2 weren't going to do anything but the third looked hopeful. Im going to try again soon hopefully and will cross my fingers for better luck. Im sorry to hear you lost some babies too, i know it happens but its still a downer [​IMG]

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:some of my eggs looked like that. it is dead. idk y it happens. its always frustrating to see

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:This is why many of us won't set pullet eggs. I'm sorry that happened to you. See if you can get a few more eggs from him after she's been laying a few months. Good luck!

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    mine looks like that too ! all died.

7. Delilah1337

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    Quote:This is why many of us won't set pullet eggs. I'm sorry that happened to you. See if you can get a few more eggs from him after she's been laying a few months. Good luck!

I knew that they probly wouldn't hatch when I got them, he even gave them to me free since they were so unreliable. I just got my incubator so I was really just looking for a chance to get acquainted with it and try out some wggs before I start hatching expensive birds. I am going to give him a call in a month or so but unt:/il then I have some RIR eggs from a friend to hatch for her to replace her older hens. All in all this wasn't to big of a deal, I was just hoping for some beginners luck

8. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I am doing the same and will try again soon ! I dont like losing them, but its a good learning experience..[​IMG]

9. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Interesting... how old would you recommend a bird be before you incubate her eggs? Greater than a year?

10. Delilah1337

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    Quote:As much as I would have liked to have it hatch successfully, I will admit that it was interesting to crack it open and see what it looks like in the early stages of development. My boyfriend and I were surprised to see his eye was quite large compared to the body...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by