Lost my sweet Bear today...he will be missed.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by teach1rusl, May 29, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Had to have my sweet golden retriever Bear put down today. [​IMG] I sat with him and stroked his face until he was gone. I'm sure those of you who've lost a beloved pet will understand what I'm going through.
    He was an avid rock, bone, and toy eater. [​IMG] He'd had 4 stomach surgeries to remove "foreign objects" over the past seven years. His last surgery was just two weeks ago, and he did not bounce back like he has in the past. For the past week though, he'd been back to his normal cheerful and energetic self, but began dragging and acting sick a day or two ago. They x-rayed and found another rock or something in his stomach, and they did not recommend another surgery so soon, especially since the last one was so involved. Big, dumb dog!! And what a wonderfully sweet big dumb dog he was. He was such an easy puppy, and grew into such a sweet friendly dog. He was gentle with all animals, great with my chickens, careful around small children. He was loyal and devoted, loved going for rides in the car or a walk through the woods. I loved that dog.
    Bear, you will be greatly missed and I will always cherish the memories of our time together. RIP Bear 2003-2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I am so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am a very much dog lover and it really hurts to lose a best friend [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry............ [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I am so very sorry...you had to do what every owner eventually goes through. You will see him again and now he is able to eat as many rocks and bones as he wants!

5. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry! You have my sympathy. It's a terrible thing to go through. I had to have my ten year old shepherd/husky mix put down April 2 due to stomach cancer. I sat on the floor and held her head in my lap for the whole thing. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Yesterday I went to the Humane Society and adopted a shepherd mix puppy ( See Post--"How big will he get?"). I watch him play with Sheba's toys and tears come to my eyes, but I know he'll be a great dog.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] So sorry to hear about Bear's passing. I know how hard it is to go through. Keep the good memories of him alive.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My heart goes out to you.I had to put my lab down "Loopy" just 6 years ago and we still miss him and wish he was around-still have his collar and plant flowers on his grave ever year....his first 2 years he was a monster-ate everything-pottied everywhere and never listened. Then one day Poof! A great awesome lab emerged never had another accident-never chewed on anything that wasn't his-and the best child gardian ever. He was 12-blind and deaf and had severe hip problems in the end-I held him imn my lap ( 100Lbs) in our van while the vet put him down..Yes, the vet came out because Loopy did not like the vets and knew its smells so I didnt want to upset him in anyway so God love my vet she came outside....it was one of the only times I ever saw my DH sob..Not cry..SOB...He was an amazing dog....Im so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm sorry for your loss.

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I've been there more times than I care to think about with my furred friends. I know your heart is breaking. Bear was a beautiful boy, and sounds like he was a truly gentle soul. I know you are hurting so badly now, but I hope the time comes when you think of Bear and the tears are replaced by smiles at the beautiful memories you will always carry. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    We lost a special golden 2 years ago and a favorite beagle this past January. I know the feelings of loss.[​IMG] We don't get to share our lives with them for a long enough period of time. Sure hope the Rainbow Bridge exists in some form.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by