1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my sweet girl

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by A-TeamMama, Aug 30, 2015.

1. A-TeamMama

A-TeamMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    My heart is heavy. I'm new to chicken keeping. I bought 7 chickens in March. My 5 year old is a big animal lover and I chose a bantam for her. She named her little bantam Diamond Sweet Pea. We later found out, as she grew that she was a speckled Sussex. She was the first to lay eggs. My kids held held her daily.
    Today after church I couldn't find her in her yard. It was worrisome, but shes my escape artist so I wasn't too alarmed. I trained my girls to come when I call" chicky chick, here chicky chick" so I expected to walk around our 3 acres calling her and have her come a running...but nothing. As soon as the sun sets my girls always find their roost in the coop. So several searchs later, the sun set, still no Diamond. I love my girls. I can't believe how much I love them. They are my stress relief, my excitement, my quiet joy. And my heart hurts. I plan to tell my kids tomorrow after school. I don't even know where Diamond is, or what happened. I feel like not knowing is worst.
    Anyway, I'm just so sad, thought I'd write about it. [​IMG]

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Sorry to hear that Diamond didn't come home tonight.

Any chance she has a hidden nest somewhere and has decided to sit with the eggs? (We had a hen do this and she disappeared for days at a time). Could she be stuck somewhere that she can't get out of? (One of our chickens was accidentally locked up in our neighbor's barn one night.) Is she being bullied by your other chickens and choosing to stay away from the others? Sorry. I do not want to give you false hope, but at the same time, she may still be around. Perhaps only time will tell.

I hope she is alive and well and comes home soon.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Buckets can flip over on them. turn every upside down bucket right side up and look. I hope she is alright.

4. A-TeamMama

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    I honestly felt a hawk or cat got her. I woke up and felt still lonesome after a tough night sleep. I read these posts and felt hopeful but just a little. This morning still no Diamond. Kids on bus,morning chores done, relax with baby. Check afternoon for eggs and a treat...thank you sweet Lord. Diamond has returned. I have no idea where she went. I searched for hours. And everywhere. Plus we had a fall storm last night. What a conundrum. No matter. It's back to my happy head count. Seven [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    [​IMG] Hooray! I lost a chicken for a couple of hours and felt horrible. Finally found her sleeping outside behind a sheet of plywood we had leaned against the wall - guess she didn't want to go in the coop for some reason.

So glad Diamond is back!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad she made it back home.

1 person likes this.
  7. A-TeamMama

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thank you all so much for chicken support [​IMG]. I was so upset and knew only chicken people would understand [​IMG]. Anyway, Diamond up and left again. This time I'm not worried. I plan to set my husbands game camera up I bought him last year. I've searched everywhere after I realized she went missing again and still couldn't find her. We don't have a rooster, however two of my neighbors do. I'm wondering if she's broody. And if so,I'm wondering if it's in a chickens nature to find a rooster? Because if she didn't find one then she may be on some duds. ...I really hope she did get a visit in. I would love some babies [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].
    I was also wondering, is it normal to borrow a rooster? Like if you want a broody chicken to have chicks? Or will that just be a disaster? I'm not sure yet if I want to have a boy around full time. TIA.

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Why not? I am sure it is done. I do not know how long a mating is good for. I know hens have something in their reproductive tract called nurse cells that keep the sperm alive for a while, but I am unsure how long that is.
    When you think about it, they ovulate everyday, so there needs to be enough sperm to fertilize a clutch.

I think they need to be fertilized before they go broody though. Once they are broody they have no patience for anyone's shenanigans.
    It might be so fun to have babies. I do not know how cold it gets where you are right now, but if you do get them, they might need to be brought in.
    Chicks are not yet homeothermic and can not yet regulate their body temperature. They will be very dependent on their mother to keep them warm, so she won't be able to leave for food or water.

If you find them, I suggest you try to move the nest to a warmer safer place.
    I do not know if she will keep the nest if you move it though. She should be fine if you move her when the chicks hatch.

I am glad you found her. I think most caring people fret when someone or thing in our care is sick or missing. That isn't weird, that's being a healthy human.

9. A-TeamMama

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thank you 3goodeggs, here's another silly question. I imagine if a bantam rooster mated my girls all would be fine. But what if a standard rooster was involved? Would bantam egg survive? I'm not trying anything right now. But would consider bringing a rooster into my coop in a few years. Depending on if I had a girl or two that had a tendency to go broody. Right now I have a first winter to endure. The coop my husband built is wonderful. There is a good section that's well insulated. I'm confident it will be a great home all year in SD.
    By the way. I have 1 austrolorp, 1 wyandote, 1 RIR, 3 EE, and my bantam speckled Sussex Diamond [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Oh, that is out of my scope of knowledge. I could see a full sized rooster having a large chick in a small bantam shell and there being issues.
    You would need to run over to the raising baby chick section. I have too many other things to do than to put myself through chicks...but one day I would like to have a clutch.[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by