Lost My Trio

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by D&D Mc Chicken, Dec 22, 2008.

1. D&D Mc Chicken

D&D Mc Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hi All,

This is my first post... I have used BYC for Ideas and reference every since my Beautiful wife Diane and I started raising chickens about 2 years ago. I have often wanted to post but just never took the time to register... until now. I woke up Sunday morning and wondered why Leroy and his 2 girls were not out in the run. It was a wonderfully warm December day in the Carolinas and there was no reason they should be inside. Diane and I had taken a trip to Ashville on Saturday and did not return until after dark, I had got the eggs before we left so I did not check on the Chickens when we got home. Well I went out to see what was so exciting in the coop and was horrified to find that the fence was ripped from the coop and there were feathers all over. The feathers were mainly from Leroy, A Beautiful Brown Leghorn about 9 Months old. I could not locate Leroy anywhere, so I assume he is dead and eaten. The girls I found in the coop dead, They must have gotten scratched up before they went in or maybe got too close to the door. Looks like the dog did not get in the coop as my door is very small. I had thought the fencing was good enough, I have had it all set up for about 4 months with no problems until last weekend.

Well as luck would have It I had Just hatched 6 Chicks in my homemade incubator, they are about 3 days old now... I was really not sure why I put the eggs in to hatch, I just love to hatch them, But Now I am so Glad I did!!!

I had 2 Buff Orpington Hens and the Brown Leghorn Cockerel, so I should have an interesting mix of Chickens. Some of the chicks have the chipmunk pattern of the Brown Leghorns, and one looks completely like an Orpington chick.

Sooo... any One have any Ideas on how to keep all the Neighborhood K-9's and others away from our Pets??? I think I am going to box in the run completely¬Ö with wire floor and top.

I am gonna so miss the fresh eggs when My supply runs out!!!

Happy Chickens
    Dean

2. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    [​IMG] im sorry.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and get yourself a good electric charger & put up hot wire with a really good ground. If it keeps bears out, it will keep dogs out.

Sorry about your loss.

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    So Sad,

Glad you go round to register at last, and best wishes for your new brood.

Jena.

5. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I'm so sorry for your loss. The electric fence sounds like a good idea.

Sarah

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

I am sorry to hear about your trio! [​IMG] Sounds like a few other people lost chickens today.

I hope that you catch the varmit!

Cindy

7. D&D Mc Chicken

Dec 22, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks Everyone,

I have Just cleaned out the Broader and my 5 Chicks are doing real good, I sure am glad I decided to set the eggs while I had them.... They will make Great replacements... I hope they start laying soon!!!![​IMG]

8. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    An electric fence low to the ground around the outside of the pen works for me. I'm about to run my electric fence again to break a new dog we have. Just make sure it is low enough that they can't get under it to dig. Good luck!

9. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    So sorry for your loss. Same thing happened to my 10 beautiful girls and 1 handsome roo on Friday from coyotes. Im still crying. Looks like we will start all over at the same time. Well wishes to you.

10. D&D Mc Chicken

Dec 22, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh pullet2hen, I am sorry to hear about your Chickens, are you starting all over with different ones or did you , like me , happen to have some of your own eggs to hatch??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by