Lost my whole flock today!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cjhixon, Jan 21, 2012.

1. cjhixon

cjhixon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Bonsall, CA
    My golden retriever passed away on Christmas night. She wouldn't come in the house when we went to bed so I left her out. (I'm in San Diego and it was warm...) She passed during the night lying in her usual spot in the yard. She was a good dog and will be forever missed. Fast forward, last weekend we lost our RIR Penny to a coyote. Penny was our favorite chicken and was really part of the family as much as a chicken can be. Still, we wrote this off to the risk of letting them enjoy life free ranging on the property.
    [​IMG]
    We have never had a problem (except with a few neighbor dogs that got onto the property for various reasons. Since then we've been very careful with gates, visitors, etc. Coyote jumped the fence and had lunch. This was mid-day. Now today, while we were out shopping my son calls to say that there is a pack of coyotes on the property attacking the rest of the chickens. Three beautiful silkies and a very friendly Americana all taken by the coyotes who ran off.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently our golden retriever was keeping the coyotes off of the property and protecting the chickens.

Now we are without our dog and chickens. 2012 is starting off as a very sad year on the ranch.

2. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    sorry about ur loss. sounds like ya need a new dog.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    That's terrible!!! [​IMG] And a pack? Goodness. Sounds like you need a dog or a electric fence. My Aussie, pitbull mix.. (Yes shes more Aussie) is my best bud, she extremely hates cats. But that's what I don't like about her considering our house cat. I heard chicken distress one time, she was upstairs with me and we ran out side, she was first down the porch stairs and I saw her chase a bobcat, almost literally grabs its leg. And chased off the fence.

Sorry about your loss.

4. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to get another dog and rebuild your flock- predators are the worst [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trish

5. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Oh my gosh friend, good lord you need some good luck. What a horrible way to start the new year. So sorry for your families pain and suffering and loss. God bless and here comes a little prayer and hug from Texas

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I am sorry about your chickens but something about those Golden makes it awful hard to take losing one.[​IMG]

7. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Aw you guys I'm so sorry.... Sending you good wishes and karma!

8. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    OMG that is just awful.......... I feel terrible for you........ sending hugs your way, keep that chin up and think positive thoughts, I know it don't help much but try .... Hey where did my smilies go????? well old time hugs then (((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))) ok found em ):hugs
    Kim :hugs

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Sorry about your dog and your chickens. I'm going through something similar. My dog died a year ago Valentine's day. Then slowly I've been losing chickens, guineas and ducks. Some to my daughters dog [​IMG] She go a little bit of lee way due to the fact that she was and still is a puppy. In the last 2 months a hawk got 5 1/2 chickens, a fox got 6 goose eggs and I don't know what the predator is but it got another guinea 2 days ago. A guinea was attacked and killed about a month ago. These last two were middle of the night are early morning before the sun came up.

I do hope you get another dog one day and more chickens.

10. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by