Lost My Wyadotte--Prolapsed Cloaca???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by labpac4, Jan 23, 2011.

1. labpac4

labpac4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    [​IMG] In less than a day I lost my beautiful 8 month old golden lace wyandotte. The on-line vet said she thought it was a prolapsed cloaca. From what I've read, it seems like that only happens to pullets on a poor diet. My flock is very well fed on organic crumbles and treats like organic yogurt with grapes, and lots of organic greens. Did I do something wrong?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, it's not necessarily diet related. Many hatchery birds suffer from reproductive issues, it seems. If a bird starts laying too early, they tend to be more prone to stuff like that.

3. labpac4

Mar 31, 2010
    Would it have anything to do with the cold temps? We live in upstate NY. I have a heat lamp in the coop, but I guess I'm just looking for answers because I feel like there was nothing I could do.

4. speckledhen

No, it just happens sometimes. Can be because the bird is too heavy or could be genetic weakness, or from trying to pass an extra large egg for her usual size, etc. It's not likely you had anything to do with it.

5. labpac4

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks; I just read in another post about shavings in the coop. If they eat those, can that plug them up? Are shavings a bad idea?

6. speckledhen

Shavings are what I use and they can't cause a prolapse. Prolapse is a reproductive malfunction, not a digestive one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by