lost on what is going on with my chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I had a Chick last evening Chirpping and Chirpping, and is due to hatch today, but no sounds and no movement. This is the 5th one that has done this and all the other ones have died. Any ideas on why I make it this far with them and then loose them all??? I am so frustated with trying and waiting and they die on the last day!!!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    What day are they on?

3. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    day 21 today, and heard them chirping last 2 days and then today NOTHING

4. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    should i crack the egg and check or leave it alone, I am thinkiing it died.

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Noooooooo DO NOT CRACK IT cuse that'll kill it. typically do not give up till after day 26? These creatures take long breaks to rest thru the hatching process, which cn last severala days.

As long as it has not cracked the outer shell, try a float test once it's actually overdue. Fill a cup deep enough with warm water so the egg can be submerged. Let the water settle completely then gently set the egg in the water, let the water settle fully. Watch the egg for a bit. If it rocks bck and forth, even a tiny bit, after it becme still when youset it in, the chick is moving inside.

6. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I did that and it floated Sideways, didnt stay vertical, and I didnt see it move,

7. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    how long did you watch it for? maybe try it again...

one other thing I've done is held the egg up to my ear to see if I hear it "pecking" at the egg (but like I sid they take long rests)

I have read that one cause of late deths is too high of humidity befor elock down, it can cause fluid build up in the ir sac and once they pip internaally they can drown...

8. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I watched it for 3-4 mins and Nothing, and last night I could hear it when I put it to my ear, But since I was testing I went and tested all my ducks and I had 3 that really Moved they are due to hatch Monday. and checked a few Chickens and some Sank, some moved, and some Just didnt do anything, I think I have drowned my chicks, I think my Humidity has been to high for them all and they Crashed and Burned on me, But now I think I know what I need to do, get humidity down below 40% RIGHT???? does that go for Ducks as well, or is there Humidity different

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by