Lost one during the day.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Haywire, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Haywire

Haywire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Don't know if it flew over the fence (5' chicken wire) or a hawk got it, but there was no sign of it anywhere when I got home from work. No feathers, no blood, no nothing. I guess I'm putting some string across the top of the fence to inhibit hawks and clipping wings this weekend. [​IMG] On the bright side, it was my RIR and she was a tad aggressive anyway. I also was 1 too many for my floor space, so this brings me back into agreement with the formula.

Ian

2. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    Have you gone looking for her? She may have just gotten out and wandered off. I've found mine some funny places.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I would go look for her. Unless its night then she may be have either lost her way home to roost and is in a tree or something. Or she really gone. Hoping its the first for ya! [​IMG]

4. Haywire

Sep 25, 2011
    Nah, only place she could be is in my neighbor's woods and we don't get along. If she got out and left the property, she's on her own. [​IMG]

Ian

5. Haywire

Sep 25, 2011
    Well you won't believe this. I pick up a bucket to move feed and a very haggard chicken appears from underneath and dives for the feed and water. She must have jumped up on that bucket and it happen to roll exactly on top of her. That chicken sat there for a week and didn't make a peep. Don't know if she will survive or not.

Ian

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Oh my gosh...poor thing....give her some TLC for certain.....keep us posted on how she does

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  7. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Awwweee hope she will be ok!!!

8. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    Holy crud! Please keep updating! =]

9. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Hope she will be okay.
    I had a similar thing happen with one of my Light Brahma's (9 weeks old), they were all in their run, and I came out to give snacks & Clara was not there. I did a head count, checked in the coop, they check the outside of the coop & run, nothing. No feathers, just nothing.
    Went in & told Hubby, and 30 min later he went out to look. Backtrack a week, was growing grass in Rubbermaid dish pans for them, they ate all the grass & were digging in the dirt. Most of the dirt was gone in a few days from all the scratching & digging. Lena, the other Light Brahma was standing on top of the overturned container, hubby went over & lifted it up & out came Clara. I gave her a firm talking to that night about playing with containers, it was removed that day. [​IMG]

I also had a 5 gal. bucket that is use to hold their feed, too it in the coop, but forgot the lid. I put the bucket up on their roost (4 ft high shelf). Went in and got the lid, came back & did a head count, missing Baby Girl (my Barred Rock), I start looking again, and something made me look into the bucket. There was Baby Girl, happy as you please, sitting like she was trying to nest. A few days later, we got our first egg.

10. cwlongshot

cwlongshot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Connecticut
    The best stories have a happy ending... lets hope this one does too... [​IMG]

CW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by