Lost one hen yesterday, another with swollen abdomen

tmcd

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2019
Hi. Please give me your wisdom. We lost one of our 3 year old RIR yesterday. She appeared healthy prior to her death and after she died, I did not palpate any masses in her abdomen or crop.
Now, one of her flockmates has a VERY swollen "abdomen" just under her vent. her stools are loose and slightly mucusy. the rest of the flock seems well. I started the treatment this morning for cocciodis just in case. background: we have run into problems in the last several weeks with them laying far fewer eggs but we thought that their moulting had something to do with it. Thanks

Attachments

• HenSwelling.jpg
    HenSwelling.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Henstool.jpg
    Henstool.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 10
This can be a sign of a reproductive disorder. Cancer, internal laying, and ascites (water belly) can be common. Is she active, and eating and drinking?
I would say she is skittish (doesn't want me to pick her up) but was out foraging with her flock today. she is eating small amounts and drinking.

I think they are two separate issues and agree this one is likely to be suffering a reproductive issue. Yes, you could have hef drained for temporary relief, but you would need to figure out and treat the underlying cause, if possible. Many reproductive problems can only be managed with supportive care.

Back
Top Bottom