Lost one... my Americauna! :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferJoIN, Oct 4, 2007.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    :(So last night I went to put the chicks up and we came up one short. We looked for over an hour with flashlights and didn't find her. We didn't find any feathers either.

It's aggravating not knowing what happened! Part of me hopes that she was just hiding and she'll be runnin' around when I get home... but since they're only 1 month old, I don't think that's a very good possibility.

The worst part is that she was my Americauna chick... so no blue eggs for me! [​IMG]

If anybody around the S. Indiana area has a 1 month old Americauna to pass along, let me know.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Bummer!

Maybe a hawk got her?

Sorry about your loss. :aww

3. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    The hawk is the only thing I can think of. They just harvested the soybean fields on three sides of us, so they may be flying around to look for mice. There was 20 minutes when we weren't outside with them, so it must've happened then.

It's just frustrating not knowing what happened!

4. jennrauch

jennrauch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2007
    Well she is a Americana! Just before you give up and say a hawk got her (very very excellent chance) Check under things she could get stuck under, or things she could fall behind. We just recently was missing a 2 month old, she was behind the feed bin.

5. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm definitely going to check (again) when I get home. We looked in the wood pile, in the shed, in the bushes... I really, really hope that she was hiding and warm enough last night and we'll find her when we get home tonight. She was still pretty shy about coming out of the coop, so I would think she would be somewhere close.

I guess she needs a tracking device!

6. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    awwwwwww....... my americauna is my favorite too!!! i hope you find her!

i'm going to be so worried about the babies when i put them out, too! maybe i'll put "clapper" devices on them... kinda like you can get for keys - a clap and a legband starts beeping???

again, i hope you find her!

7. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Now a clapper device is a good idea! I try to keep thinking "I've still got 13 more." but she was my only (future) blue egg layer. I guess I'll just have to get more in the spring!

8. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    We had our first hawk show up this past Friday. It was huge. We saw it swoop down over their portable coup / run. They were safe inside, but it even flew along side the cage just about 2 feet off the ground. Hayden, our roo was out, but when we ran outside we found that he had gone back to his pen. Even though we knew that there were hawks around all the time and that they were safe inside it still was a little scary watching it.

If you lived close to me you could have one of my extras. I ordered 10 and only have room for about 6 when they are grown.

Any luck finding her ( [​IMG] ) or did I miss an update in another post?

9. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Nope, I never found her. We looked everywhere. Not even a little feather. She wasn't one to wander, so something had to have come up pretty close to the house.

So to replace the 1 I lost, I ordered 10 more! hee hee. (I posted it under Addiction Part 3!)

Thank you for your concern! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by