Lost one of a pair

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by anthemfamily, Jun 29, 2016.

1. anthemfamily

anthemfamily New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Was raising a pair of Mallards from ducklings. They were a little over 4 months. This morning when we woke up our sweet Quackers (our drake) was dead, with Cheese (or hen) making a racket. I understand that I need to find her another companion as ducks do not like being alone, how quickly should this be done?

I am planning on doing a complete sanitization of their house this afternoon. There was no apparant reason for the death. We were hanging out with them at 9 and by 10 my son said he saw Quackers laying down and thought it was odd that the two weren't together but just assumed he was sleeping. Apparently the hen was already quacking up a storm but my son assumed she was just upset that the drake was sleeping.

I am beside myself with grief and want to make certain Cheese is not anymore traumatized than need be. I am hoping to introduce another female as I was raising them for eggs.

2. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    Try getting a necroscopy done on Quackers, just so you know what he died from. But try getting Cheese a companion as soon as possible.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any chance it was a predator? Please make sure Cheese is safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by