1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost one of my babies last night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaciesCoop, Aug 18, 2007.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Some one please tell me that these things just happen.
    I had 5 - 3.5 week old giant cochin chicks. Thus the name 5azsisters. Today I have only 4.
    Yesterday she was just fine. Playing and coming and getting into my hand. When I woke up this morning she was dead. Stretched out straight.
    My 86 year old Mom who was raised with chickens says "Honey it just happens. You will never know why"
    But I'm the type that wants to know why!
    She had no marks on her. Nothing was disturbed. Just gone
    The others seem fine but I'm checking on them every 15 minutes because I'm afraid it's going to happen again.
    Any ideas why this might happen?
    Thank you in advance.
    Jacie

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Sorry you lost your chick. I am JUST like you. I need to know why!!!! The problem is that your mom is right, it can just happen. If you can afford to pay the vet, you might be able to find out. Being so young it might have just had something that was not developing properly. [​IMG]

3. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Thank you so much for the reply. I was beginning to think I had done something wrong in posting.
    I could have a necropsy done but it is cost prohibative and I would have to drive her to Phoenix. We have already buried her and if I lose another one then I will probably do just that.
    It is just so disturbing because yesterday she was peppy and happy. Then - boom!!!
    There was probably nothing I could have done but now I'm so paranoid about the other 4. My DH is being so sympathetic but is worried that I'm worried so much! LOL!
    Here is my sweet Lela. This was taken just a few days ago
    Jacie

[​IMG]

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Poor baby. I'm sorry for your loss.

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'm sorry about your chick, and yes it does happen sometimes for no reason. She was a cute chick, nice picture.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I raise large black cochins and went in yesterday and found one dead exactly the way you described. My best guess is that it was sleeping and another laid/sat on it and it couldn't get up and died. I have 78 of them in there but they have a LOT of room. I hate it when they do that and they have enough room and heat. Your Mom is right, these things just do happen.

7. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I can offer no insight, but I am so sorry for your loss.

8. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts and comments.
    The remaining 4 seem fine today. (Knock on wood)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by