Lost one of my bantams to a neighborhood cat :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SueSteeves, Oct 27, 2011.

1. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I came home to find one of my bantam cochins Lulu dead....pretty sure it was a cat. She was my favorite of my three [​IMG] I have two more, but one is in a seperate broody coop sitting on some eggs which I gave her a few days ago. The third one is all alone now. I am trying to find another bantam friend for her, but no luck so far. What about a standard size chicken? Would the larger one hurt her or bully her? I don't want her to be lonely, but I also don't want her to get hurt. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Sue

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i am so very sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Personally, i wouldn't put a standard size chicken in with a bantam. i suppose it works in some circumstances. But i feel it's just better to have them about the same size.

3. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    I had one silkie and one OEGB in with my entire LF flock and they did fine. The silkie was an avoider and slunk around unnoticed by the big girls. The OEGB was the boss of the flock. Everyone knew better than to mess with her.

I guess it really just depends on their personalities.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would get the same size hen and work on securing them better.Set a trap or 2 for the possible cat predator.Very sorry for your loss!!!!

5. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Thank you everyone! I contacted the person who I got them from originally and she was nice enough to part with one of her older hens so that Dolly could have a buddy. They are doing great together, it seemed that they recognized each other....but that could all be in my head. I lost the one while she was free ranging, because I forgot to put the dogs out with them while I left the house for a bit. I got too comfortable, but have learned my lesson.

Thank you all again!

Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by