Lost one of my birds to a dog (He's Back w/ friends)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marie_martin, May 4, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have been outside all day today so I had all the chickens out with me. Well, I had just come in and was eating a bite and waiting for them to go up so I could lock them in. They have been staying out really late lately due to the longer days. But we have not had any problems with dogs in a long time and usually they will squawk and I hear them and run if something is there (even if there is nothing, they just like to scare me to death) Anyway, this time it was two dogs. My DH ran them off and when he finally caught up to one, it had one of my splash silkie youngsters in it's mouth. It was too late to save it, but at least he wont have dinner tonight. Dang dogs. I am so mad. The other dog did not get so lucky but it could have been worse. I will be calling animal control tomorrow but not sure what they can do if the dogs are not here at the time. I have to get a gun or some sort. I thought I only had to worry about hawks and racoons mostly, but I guess you never know. Even in the city limits.

Marie

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Sorry to hear about your silkie. I hope that animal control will keep an eye out for the dogs! You are much kinder about it than I would have been. :mad:

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am so sorry for your loss. Were they just strays or is there a neighbor you can cuss out about it? It wont bring your baby back but it will make you feel better. Good luck!

4. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    So sorry about your poor chickie [​IMG][​IMG]

5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Oh I am not kind about it at all. I am mad as heck. But I have no idea who they belong to so what can I do? I thought about getting a catch cage and putting food into it to catch them but other than that, I don't know what to do. I think one of them had a collar but DH says the one who had the chicken did not. We never got close enough to get a name or anything or to figure out where they belong. I don't have a gun but I am thinking of getting a pellet gun just for that purpose. I would have to learn to use it of course, never fired any kind of gun in my life. It makes me sick, I just don't know what else to do. Thanks for your kind words.

Marie

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry for your loss.

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    This morning I came home from taking the kids to school to find the black dog that killed my chicken looming outside my coop. Thank God he had not gotten to them, but they were squawking and scared. I ran him off and came in to call the police. That is who we have to call here and they will have someone come out, but it does not seem to do much good lately. We are technically in the city limits but live kind of out so they let us have chickens and goats and so forth but the leash laws still apply. Anyway, I call my MIL who lives next door to tell her about it and she says she saw 3 dogs come across her yard while I was gone to take the kids and she tried to call but I was not back yet. So there are more. I am waiting for the animal control officer to come out and let me know what can be done. I don't know if traps work? DH threw a rock at this particular dog last time to get him to drop the chicken and I noticed he is limping today. So he must have hit him pretty hard. I hate that because I know it is not the dogs fault, it is the stupid owners who refuse to be responsible for their animals. What if I let my goats roam in other peoples yards and eat their garden up or their flower beds. They would not think twice about killing my goats. I don't like killing anything but I may not have a choice. Obviously they know where the chickens are now and I wont feel comfortable leaving them even in the run much less letting them out into my yard. Crazy.

Marie

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hopefully the officer does something to take care of it and you won't have to but, realistically probably only a report and a warning to the owners will be done. I would have my gun ready. It's not easy choice to make but, you have the right to defend your animals. You can try shooting above the dog first and see if that does the trick (it did for a neighbor's dog once) and if that doesn't work shoot it. Remember if your kids happen to be by the chickens and the dogs come they could be in danger too depending on the temperment of the dogs.

9. DaveMN

DaveMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Moose Lake, Mn
    I'm sorry for you loss. losing an animal that you have raised from hatch/birth is not easy. You are right about the dogs now knowing where there is food to be had. once they know they will be back again and again until something really discourages them.
    you do have the right to defend your property, livestock and family but be careful on how you do it. if a stray animal threatens my kids or wife the animal always loses. i practice this in the country, but when i lived in the city the same thing applied there i just had to be sneakier.

when i was little we had a problem with a dog coming around our house and tearing things up and eating whatever it could get ahold of. My dad took doggy laxative and super hot sauce and injected it into some hotdogs and put them out for the dog. they disappeared during the day while we were gone. a couple of days later we found out who the dog owner was, turned out the dog had pooped literally throughout their house when it needed to go outside. dad had a discussion with them and the dog was not allowed to run free again.

if nothing else the dogs may learn that your place leaves them feeling bad.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  10. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    IF the dog didnt learn his lesson the first time nd keeps cmoing back and animal controll doesnt do anything then the only choice would be to shoot them. We have done this a few times in the past. Well DH attempted to do this in the past but missed the first few times and then must have gotten it in the blaze of bullets. It hasnt come back so i assume it is gone for good. I am sorry for your loss & i know how it feels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by