Lost one of my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MareeZoCool, May 30, 2010.

1. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

Friday night, I noticed one hen & the roo had settled in for the night. I did hear my 5/6 weeks old chicks inside, but didn't do a good count! I closed the door to the coop, in the morning I noticed one chick missing. I think it was a pullet! It's just 5/6 weeks old, I'm hoping she'll find her way back home. Perhaps she found my other runaway hen, the 3YO Ameracauna. They've gotta be out under my pines ( we have a mini-forest behind our back yard.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I would think that she would be close by. However, after dark, who knows what was lurking. Try calling her and watch the hen and roo when you let them out again. Fingers crossed! [​IMG]

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

Quote:Roo went out there, I just know he's searching for his youngster, he's a really kind & gentle roo. The momma hen hates her brood, she hisses and pecks at them.

4. micaheart

micaheart In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I had that happen once. I realized one was missing when I did a head count at night. I looked all over for him in the dark and couldn't find him. The next morning I went out early and low and behold found the little guy near coop. I was so worried because we have a lot of predators around. But he was fine. He must have been a good little hider. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by