Lost one of my ducks :( UPDATE!

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
I only got her about 2 months ago with her mate. I am at a total loss of what got her, I found her litterally right next to our house in a pile of leaves, her whole body was untouched except whatever did it ate just her neck like all her feathers and flesh from her neck are gone! But the whole body is still there! What in the world type of predator would do that?
idunno.gif

I had to work last night so I didn't put them in the coop hubby did, and of course he doesn't do a head count just shuts the door
sad.png

My poor duck
sad.png
this is the 1st duck I have lost in years!

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone. We found out it was a cat...it killed one of my chickens today
sad.png
unfortnately we had to kill the cat. Probably was for the better since it was very ferral, skinny, sick looking and very aggresive and mean towards us. Couldn't chance trying our live traps if it was killing our birds that quickly!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. I think a raccoon, they will eat just the neck. Most predators will take the body away.

Tell hubby to count. I make mine.
smile.png

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel.
sad.png
Those predators always waste the poor duckies! After we caught an opossum and a raccoon, we found out that a coyote was taking our ducks. We lost 3 or 4 every other night until all but our SMART runner drake was left. We just got three new runner hens but I'm afraid to let them out. I'm not sure when their outdoor enclosure is safe or not.

hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss.. and I do hope you have the right culprit.

I have lived where I do for ten years now and have only ever lost one to a predator about 5 years ago. I was just a few moments too late- poor ducky - the cat had broken its neck. Charlie looked fine- just a single drop of blood on the neck but he was gone just moments after I picked him up. We have a lady down the road who feeds feral cats in the area- and years ago there numbers got so high I got a trapping cage- along with some of the other neighbours we caught a total of 36 feral cats- most looked half staved and diseased. Hopefully the feral cat problem in my area will never reach such high numbers again.

Just be careful around feral cats- I did get bitten by one when trapping them- and ended up with a massive infection in my hand even after going straight to the doctors to get anitbiotics and have the area cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom