Lost one of my favorite girls tonight!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sekinkead, Jan 2, 2010.

1. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I have had my cochin bantam in solitary for the last 6 weeks or so. She had bubbles in her eyes and a discharge coming out of her nose. I did a bunch of research and ordered some medication for her. The after some more research (I am a new chicken owner so I did a lot of research trying to find out what she had). I did finally contact a vet and they agreed with me that she probably had Infectious Corzya (sp). She is one of my first chickens and we just got very attached to her so this has been hard. I tried all kinds of things to help her but then realized she would always be a carrier. So we decided we were going to cull her. I just needed a week or so to come to terms with it. Well, my husband was going to do the deed tomorrow but when he went out to the garage to get something to drink he saw that she was laying down and she had died. While I had resigned myself to culling her it still hurts. We tried a couple of different antibiotics and I did use medicated eye drops in the begining trying to help her. I posted this knowing that a lot of you would understand how heartbroken I am. My kids are asleep and I will have to tell them in the morning. This sucks, but I know it was for the best in the end. I have 19 new hatchlings and just got some Buckeyes a month ago. I have been practicing good biosecurity so I wouldn't spread anything and have been monitoring the rest of my original flock watching for signs. So far I haven't seen anything but will continue to keep my flocks separate. Here are some pics of my girl Raven. Well, she is actually my daughters girl. Here are a couple of pictures.

Raven is the black one.
    [​IMG]

here she is with my daughter
    [​IMG]

2. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    So sorry for your loss of Raven [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry!

Imp

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

5. HappyHens6

HappyHens6 New Egg

Jan 3, 2010
    UK
    Awwwww! I'm really sorry! I know whats it's like to loose a chicken that dear to you![​IMG]

6. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    I'm so very sorry, but glad that you did everything possible to help her and she died when her time came rather than you having to end it. You have my thoughts and concern. Hang in there, Debby

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by