Lost one of my girls in the pool today... Question.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rick Parshall, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Rick Parshall

Rick Parshall New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    NY finger lakes region
    Hi everybody!!
    I have followed BYC for nearly a year now and had all of my questions answered in the forums.. Until now..
    This afternoon I found one of my Leghorns in the pool.. Dead.. :(
    Question is seeing I do not really want her demise to go totally in vain, can she be processed after possibly drowning or from the cold water (hypothermia)?? And being a Leghorn there would not be much meat but not sure about eating her? It has been in the 30s(F ) here in NY for days so she has been chilled.. If not for meat how about practice (I have 3 roosters and 2 need to go) in butchering.?? I have read several blogs including one here about processing chickens but thought she may be good practice..?? Any suggestions or answers on meat etc? Thanks
    Rick P

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I wouldn't eat her myself, as she wasn't bled out and she may have been floating in the pool for a while. However, I would definitely do an autopsy on her, it will be good practice for when you do you cockerels. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Rick Parshall

Rick Parshall New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    NY finger lakes region
    Guessing I will process her for practice and see if I get an answer about the meat.. My concern is that she may not bleed out as she would if alive..

4. Rick Parshall

Rick Parshall New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    NY finger lakes region
    The bleed out is what my concern was.. Her head was above water and it is cold out so spoilage was not a concern.. She was squawking not too long before I found her so she was not in there long. Plus I still do a head count every night and morning when I let them out.. Just figured it is good practice as I have never processed one but need to do the Roosters SOON.. They are driving us nuts!!

5. nuklee0

nuklee0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2015
    King County, Washington

I would think that you would be OK to eat the meat too since that's colder than most refrigerator temps... Also, some people aren't able to bleed them out fully anyway when they use an axe to behead them. Maybe practice butchering and cook a small portion of meat to taste test?

1 person likes this.
  6. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Personally, I'd probably eat it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rick Parshall

Rick Parshall New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    NY finger lakes region
    Thanks!! Defiantly cold out.. Not like mid winter -10f but near freezing.. I am guessing the meat would still be better that the hormone/antibiotic laden meat from the grocery store .. And good practice for the loud crazy roosters that are next..

8. Rick Parshall

Rick Parshall New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    NY finger lakes region
    Lo
    lol.. No more straight runs.. Just pullets. The first batch were leghorn pullets,6 of them one died on first night( had I known they pulled the littlest one that looked beat up I would have told them to grab a different one) then we got a straight run with 3barred rock and 4 orphingtons.. Ended up with 5 roosters.. That wanted to kill each other.. Gave one away, sold another and one died in a fight.. They were little then. Already miss my gal..

9. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Poor darn birds...Can't fly, and can't swim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by