Lost One of my Girls Today....

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
:(Hi everyone,

About an hour ago, I gave my girls some treats from the garden (carrot tops, and a tomato) and within 15 minutes from coming back to the house I looked out at them, and one looked like it was laying on the ground. I thought she looked "dead", but wasn't too worried because I had seen some pics on this site of chickens that lay down and take naps. Then my son went out to the coop and came back with her. She did die! My DH just told me she broke her neck. She must have either flown into something, or got her head in the chicken wire, I don't know. My question is, do the other girls know now that one is missing, and what now happens to the pecking order? I am sad... we are new to this and have not lost one yet....

So sorry that you lost one of your girls. The others will rearrange the pecking order as needed...it usually doesn't seem to be a big deal for them. Sorry again for you loss.
hugs.gif

I'm sorry this happened! When my chicks were 9 weeks old my kitten killed my BR pullet. My RIR pullet was buddies with the BR and went missing. Turns out she was hiding under my daughter's playhouse. She came running out when the others were going in for the night. I think she really was traumatized, but soon became buddies with my BA pullet. It will take a little time, but they'll be fine.

hugs.gif
sorry you lost one of your peeps.....Even though people always tell you it's going to happen, it is hard when it does!!! I lost my favorite chicken almost 3 weeks ago and still miss her very much. And it was hard to see her with her neck broken. ...
hit.gif
Hope your son is doing OK.
My other girls seemed a bit stressed out for a few days, stayed closer to the coop and seemed quieter. They had to re-establish their little pecking order, Matilda was the 'ringleader' but have adjusted fine.

I'm sorry.
sad.png

The chickens will be fine. They will adjust and settle the pecking order. I lost a chicken to a hawk and of course it was my son's chicken. (and the only one laying at the time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for the kind words and thoughts. My son is 12 and he did great. He helped me! He knows how much I love my girls.... They are quiet. I went out to see them a few minutes ago, and they are quietly pecking around and staying pretty close to each other....

Back
Top Bottom