Lost one of my hens today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kass, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Kass

Kass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    this evening I found one of my black easter eggers dead. None of my chickens have had any symptoms to make me think it was disease. She had some feathers missing from her back. When I tried to get her out of the pen the rooster flipped out, jumped on her pulling feathers and scratching.
    My daughters kindergarten class hatched chicks last april. This roo is one of those chicks. I dont know what breed he is but he is black and really big.
    I need some opinions.. Do you guys think it was the rooster that killed her?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sorry for your loss. No, I don't think the rooster killed her.(not unless she was seriously ill)She may have had heart failure or something. It's not unusual for chickens to turn to cannibalism so, rooster was just being opportunist. Necropsy would be a good idea.[​IMG]

3. darkbrahmamama

darkbrahmamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    I lost our favorite hen last summer when a horse stepped on her. One of the roosters thought she was being "willing" even though she was dead. It's one of those weird animal things we'll never understand.

4. Kass

Kass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    She was one of the hens I hatched july 2014, a easter egger amerucana mix. The chickens from that hatch just started laying. I was surprised they turned out to be olive eggers. So upset that we lost her.

5. Kass

Kass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Easter egger eggs and 1 from a olive egger.

6. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    [​IMG]I am very sorry for your loss.

I don't think the rooster killed her roosters don't really do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by