Lost one of my peafowl today....

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by dracoe19, Dec 1, 2012.

1. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Today I got a call from my mom telling me that our purple black shouldered spalding peacock had died... I was really disappointed because he was a fathers present to my dad 1.5 years ago and he just loved his peacocks. He was very upset when he found him. He was just curled up in the corner of my wyandotte pen what looked to be asleep. There we no cuts, broken bones, ruffled feathers, nothing... He always went into my wyandotte pen to chill with them so that was normal. I just have no idea why he died [​IMG]. My parents said he was a little more docile the past few days were you could get a little closer than usually but that was about it. I know if I was home I may have seen this as a symptom but my parents don't really know what to look for and thought he was just becoming more friendly. We have his buddy our India blue male which seems fine. I pray nothing happens to him... They both free ranged around our property with the chickens, goats, geese and pot bellied pigs. Always had food and plenty of water from our little pond and automatic waterers. Could it have possibly been a respiratory infection? Sorry for the limited information. Since I wasn't home to see him I only have what my mother told me. Also I am thinking about getting the other peacock a new buddy. I feel really bad that he is the only peacock now. Him and our purple were inseparable and I don't want him to be lonely.... Would this be in the peacocks best interest or would he be happy on his own? I would most likely get another male to accompany him because I don't want the peacocks to breed and me not be able to control it since they are free. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a younger picture of him. I was so looking forward to him growing his train out... he was so pretty.
    [​IMG]

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    So sorry about your beautiful boy. What a loss for your family. [​IMG]

I know this is unlikely, but since I recently had a very bad and painful experience, I have to ask: is there any chance that he could have gotten into any poison? Could your parents, or perhaps some neighbors, have put out anything for rats?

In any case, they will certainly want to keep an eye on his buddy and do something right away if his behavior changes in any way...

3. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I know there isn't any poison. We never use poison for pests and our neighbors wouldn't either due to little kids, horses, chickens , etc. Part of me thinks an infection of some sort but he was so healthy when I left... And if it was an infection it was a really quick acting one. Could just be one of those fluke happening too... I'll be sure to have my parents carefully watch our other boy. What do you think about getting him another buddy? Would it benefit him?

4. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Sorry, I had to ask about the poison, although I know most people are too smart to put it where a pea could get at it...

Yes, that guy will definitely be happier with a new buddy, peas are really social! He'll be lonely without a pal.
    But you'll probably want to wait and make sure that he is healthy before you bring in a new bird.

5. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    No problem. It's a good thing to think about. I know how chickens and other fowl can have their dumb moments of eating anything even if it isn't food. I had guineas that ate the insulation off my water hoses! Crazy birds. I would chase them away but they still pick at it....

I'll be home soon so I can assess his health. I'll also be on the look out for a new buddy :). My mom will probably say "really another one?!" lol. Another question I want to get a male but do I need to worry about fighting? I'm sure at first they maybe a bit abrasive because of a new presence but are they more ample to fight both of them being boys? My boys were raised together from babies and there are absolutely no female peacocks around for them to fight over. I know they should be much more friendly since their aren't any girls but I'd rather ask now then buy a boy and have them fight none stop. Thanks for the help New 2 Peafowl :).

6. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I'm guessing that there are other peapeople here with more experience introducing peas to new peas...

My only experience was that I brought home three male rescue peas this Spring. It was a bit difficult, and I think that was largely because they were introduced during breeding season - a very competitive time for the boys. I'm not sure if this would be different if there aren't any gals around? They do all get along now, and one of the new guys became best pals with an original resident guy.
    I imagine that there will always be an initial period when they have to figure out the pecking order, but they should get over it pretty quickly.

Hoping another peaperson will give you some advice about this!

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    So sorry to hear of your losss.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for you loss.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So sorry for your loss. He was handsome. :hugs

10. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Just a thought, had he been wormed? I wouldn't think that a free range pea would be very suseptable to respiratory problems unless his system was already stressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by