Lost one of my youngsters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by claireree, Nov 4, 2011.

1. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    One of my young chickens about 10 weeks old has got in with my chickens today and has sadly been beaten up badly, she has a large open wound on her back leg it is about 1inch round and open. I have been to vets and have got some stuff to clean her and they also said to put honey on the wound it apparantly helps the skin heal.

Does anyone have any more information that may help her, I have put her in a rabbit hutch with loads of fresh bedding and have a heat lamp on her so if she pulls through the night it will be a bonus she is looking better and has eaten and drank.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. claireree

Jul 9, 2010
    Has anyone got any advice

3. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Is there a Tractor Supply around you? If so, You can purchase BLU-KOTE spray for about $6. It worked wonders on one of my hens who had been molting and my Rhode Island Red Rooster ripped her back open.
    It happened a little over a month ago & her back feathers are coming back. I would put separate her from the flock and spray it on her about once a day. Will the hutch be inside or outside? If outside, how cold will it be?
    If she is eating and drinking she will make it thru the night. And before you get BLU-KOTE, You can put some anti-biotic ointment onto it. If you have any more questions just message me. My thoughts and prayers are with
    you and your Pullet [​IMG] Let's cross our fingers!! Oh, and give me an update tomorrow morning, please!!!! [​IMG]

Hope it helps,
    -Shannon

4. claireree

Jul 9, 2010
    good news she survived the night and the hole doesnt seem to be as bad it has dried up but it still has one open bit I wll clean it again today and apply more honey. She is eatig and drinking but her tail is down but she does seem a lot better than yesterdayxx

5. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Quote:Awesome!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by