Lost one of our Dominiques to egg peritonitis today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mkcolls, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    One of our dear little Dominique's died during the night from egg peritonitis.

DH told me that he saw her last night in an area of the coop the chickens don't usually spend any time, her feathers were ruffled and she was standing, hunched, with eyes closed. He did not tell me this until this AM.

She made it to the lowest rung roost, but fell off, and DH found her early this AM under the roost.

I did an exam of her body and found broken egg, and creamy yellow, discharge from her vent. Her crop was full, her abdomen firm & hard.

All of our 6 Dominique's are sweet, funny, chickens. They are always at our feet, on our laps, chatting about chicken life. They were the first of our chickens to lay this past fall, and we got 4-6 eggs each day.

We will miss her, thank you for listening.

2. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I'm so sorry for you loss [​IMG]

Sarah

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    awww.. I'm so sorry :( [​IMG]

5. ponyup

ponyup Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Aubrey TX
    Sounds like she was loved while she was here, what a life you gave her! For that I am sure she thanks you.
    May she rest in peace.

6. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Thank you all for your kind words. It was interesting today another of our Dominiques came up and peck my boot. Usually this hen does not appreciate being held, but she let me pick her up. She didn't settle in like our other, but she allowed it. It was very sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by