Lost one of our Polish Hens last night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GottaLuvChicks, Jan 10, 2011.

1. GottaLuvChicks

GottaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    So yesterday was strange...in the morning, the entire flock seemed ok. Then we headed off to the farm show...a few hours into it, my daughter texts me with "we have a chicken emergency"...I call her to find out that our bearded polish hen (about a year old now) is not moving much, barely able to keep her head up, heavy breathing and not doing well over all. She was brought in the house and put under some heat (it is VERY cold here in PA). When we got home, I took her up the road to a farmer friend who examined her fairly well. He said he felt no eggs (I was worried about her being eggbound), and had no idea what could have been it. He said maybe the roo wore her out badly? Her legs were freezing cold though, and she was just limp all over yet breathing. We were going to try a nice warm soak, but she ended up passing sometime before we were able to get to it.
    So, as sad as it is to say, we lost Tater to something strange. Now today I have been horribly worried and have been watching over the rest of the gang like a hawk. So far everyone is doing well, just sitting outside all puffed up trying to hide from the cold.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Birds are the strangest animals. they usually show little or no symptoms of an illness until the drop off the perch.

Sorry for your loss. Keep a close eye on the rest just in case something is spreading. But I'd bet its an isolated thing. I had 5 white crested polish last year - one just burned out like a light bulb. The rest did OK, but were slowly picked off by every predator in our area. They are not the most observant.

Anyway - sorry for your loss.

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Kelly so sorry to hear about Tater [​IMG] . It's hard to lose our girls and especially when we have no idea why [​IMG]

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss.It's so frustrating not knowing why. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by