1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost one of the birds last night..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by petchickenlover, Mar 27, 2011.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    I didn't get home before dark last night, and we usually lock up our birds do to raccoons always getting them. [​IMG] the stupid thing got one of our new Orpingtons. It looks like he got it right before we got home & we interrupted his meal. [​IMG] stupid 'coons.

2. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    So sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    sorry for your loss, But that would make me mad. I would set live traps. Everyday this past month we caught a skunk. Counted and we got rid of 25 skunks living under our storage shed and we didn't know it. Live traps don't hurt things you want to turn loose or accidently got in trap.

4. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Wayne&Kim1963 :

sorry for your loss, But that would make me mad. I would set live traps. Everyday this past month we caught a skunk. Counted and we got rid of 25 skunks living under our storage shed and we didn't know it. Live traps don't hurt things you want to turn loose or accidently got in trap.

We've been talking about getting a live trap. Probably should go pick one up today if i get the chance.​

5. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Hav-A-Hart still made in USA as far as I know, they have a TON of useful videos on YouTube.

That *type* of trap is sold all over.

6. Dee Holt

Dee Holt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi, I am just a "new egg", but I do pet sit for two large flocks and one of them lives adjacent to a large park system, full of coyotes and the like. They have put up inexpensive solar boxes with flashing red lights that come on after dark when night predators come close to the hen house. They say they have been working, at least better than trying to get home every night before dark. Haven't lost a chicken since putting them in. - Dee

7. anitalogan

anitalogan Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Sorry for your loss. But could you tell this rookie how you know it was a raccoon?

8. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:Well. for starters it left some prints. he also tore the bird apart like raccoons do, they always seem to leave a big mess...

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    sorry for your loss [​IMG]

10. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    We lost two, two nights in a row this last week to a racoon. We did not think it was a racoon as my husband has lived here for 30 years and never seen one up here. He got really concerned after the second one in a different coop....dug in at the only spot that anything could dig in....and he set the trap. We caught a coon and were very surprised. That was his last meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by