Lost one this morning

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lucysmom002, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    One of my pullets (13 wk old) was laying dead under her roost this morning. Poor little girl. I wonder why.. I hate when I don't know why..
    She was on the smaller side but was always healthy.
    Poor little girl.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    So sorry about your pullet. I lost one to the heat yesterday. It makes me so sad. I do everything I can to keep them hydrated , but with the heat index over 100, sometimes they just can't take it. I even pick the teenagers up and put their feet in the water pans for wading so they learn to do it. what was the weather like at your place, maybe that had something to do with it.[​IMG]

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I am so sorry!

4. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm so sorry you lost your pullet. It must have been aweful finding her like that. [​IMG]

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    So sorry to hear that.

6. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I was shocked. I saw her laying there not moving.. ugh
    it was 86 and very humid here yesterday. I had the air conditioner running in the coop with two fans but the chicken door was open so they could go outside also. Most of the younger ones stayed in all day and relaxed. They weren't panting or anything. The ones outside were panting but were fine. Inside the coop was 80 degrees and nice and dry.
    I keep lots of water bowls all over the place inside and out and keep them cool all day. There was food in various places too as well as grass and plenty of space for grazing.
    The coop is 12 x 24 and brand new, the fenced in yard of theirs is about 50 x 150. They have lots of shade to get into also. We had much hotter weather last week and two weeks ago it was 96.
    I'm wondering if she didn't drink enough because stupid me put a bucket of water IN the coop where she stayed all day. Maybe she wasn't used to drinking out of that??? The others did. They usually have their chicken waterer and a shallow feed tub from my horses full of water.
    Who knows? I'm always trying to figure out what I could've done to cause it or prevent it...[​IMG]

Thanks for your support. I knew people here would understand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by