Lost one- TIME TO WORM?

greenacresgrl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
FORGIVE MY DUMBLINESS!!!
hide.gif

I have a small, well, GROWING flock of almost all bantam silkies. They are all due or past due for worming. I treated everyone with Ivermectin in Jan. I thought at the time they would need every 6 months. I lost a 8 mo. roo quickly. Now, a couple hens have the same diarrhea, wet bum- stinky poo he had. I have amprol treated. the poo is watery clear with regular colored loose poo mixed in. I'm keeping them washed off since their booty fluff makes for a mess.

Now, worming...I'm not completely sold on Ivermectin but i have it on hand- I can switch. I just want something effective. I want to do the best i can in their care. They are show stock now at this point. $$$ How about WAZINE? I just want safety as well and effectiveness.
Hmmm...and if it matters I dropped on the backs of their necks last treatment-heard it was less taxing on their systems.

It's mainly dosing I'm concerned about AND when someone says DROPS what measures the drop- a dropper? I used a really small allergy syringe with short needle- probably produces less than a regular drop. OH- and I have multiage chickies too- so i'll have to alter the dosage accordingly.

This topic has been on my much needed questions lately now that i have a rescue chicken mite situation under control.
ANY SUGGESTIONS I'LL LOVE TO HEAR THEM!!! THANKS!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Besides diarrhea, are there other signs that they might have worms? Are they acting lethargic? Slowed eating and drinking? Not scratching/pecking like they'd normally do?

No, not that I can tell at all- hard to say 100% cause of this darn HEAT!!! I did loose a black hen Wed. when it was 100...but she was always a really frail girl.
The two hens that are poopy now are eating... seem a bit slower but aren't puffed up like they are sick at all.

Prevention is going to be my best friend though after dealing with the MITE situation from the RESCUE chickens! I'm tired of being on the treatment end instead of the prevention end of things if that makes sense!

I do stay up on them with the dusting etc, thank goodness so I don't have to worry about the others getting them!

OH another wormer i've heard of Valbazen. to add to the Wazine. Ivermectin.
hu.gif

I used wazine then 10 days later followed with safeguard I used the wazine first in case they had a large infestation of worms. So as not to overwhelm their system. Do a search by three horses she has posted on a couple of times on how she worms and the dosage for chickens. You could use the Ivermectin instead of safeguard.

You're not dealing with worms here, you're dealing with the heat. You dont want to worm as a preventative. You worm because they HAVE worms. You said you cant tell, and you said HEAT....You answered your own question. The extreme heat causes diarrhea. Reworming them again will stress them further and more may die in combination with the heat. Make sure they get shade, plenty of fresh water, provide a fan if you have too....chilled watermelon helps, provide them with poultry nutri drench in their water, it's loaded with vitamins and minerals. Dont give them nutri drench after 3 days though, just plain freshwater. another question for you: Did you mix the rescue chickens with your current flock without quarantining them for at least 30 days? If you didnt, you've opened the door for alot of problems.

Last edited:
Quote:
Based upon the information given, I agree. If you haven't actually SEEN worms there is no reason to stress them even further in this very hot summer.

I would suggest taking measures to cool them down all the time and see if the problem clears up. I lost a rooster to heat 2 weeks ago.

You wont always see worms in their poop, if you do, they're infested. If they act lethargic....that gets my attention real quick and most likely it's worms.

OK...guys...thanks for the advice. Really? Diarrhea from the heat stress? Gonna get them all on some Pro-Vita B this week to help them out some.
I will postpone worming until the fall. No, no SIGNS of worms in the poo, but know they can have them even when you cant see them. Yes, was aware the wormer would add to the stress but trying to keep entire the flock healthy and pre treated.

Oh- on the new birds YES! Quarantining here for the full 30 days- the pain that it is but still not worth bringing trouble in to the rest. I even wash, change clothes, and shoes before tending to the rest.
Thanks again!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom