1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost one today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrjcrf150f, Feb 14, 2015.

1. jrjcrf150f

jrjcrf150f New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    went to check on my silver laced hens this morning and had lost one of my girls. I've had the 2 for about 2 weeks now. purchased at around 1 year old. Anyways Ive read a lot up on them and know they are a cold hardy bird. (I'm in Ga) I'm trying to figure out what could have been the cause. Both looked very healthy. The one I still have has been my egg layer 4-5 eggs a week so far. The one that has passed I noticed a few days ago she was getting a little bigger in size and her head was getting more of a reddish color. I also had caught her sitting in one of the boxes at one point. I was thinking she might start laying soon.

So im not thinking it was weather. it has been cold but not extreme. I am not running a light to them at night which i have read quite a few threads on here about that. I was wondering maybe she had been sick from the seller and I just hadn't noticed?

Any help would be awesome especially those familiar with silver laced. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am sorry for your loss.

It is hard to say what could be wrong when one of your hens dies so suddenly. The only sure way to know is to send the body off for necropsy. To do that, you can contact your state vet or county extension agent (for the future if needed- I know you probably don't care to do it now).

One thing to consider is mites/lice and worms. There are of course infections too that can cause death.

It is really impossible to know what made her pass away unless a study is done. I am so sorry she is gone.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. jrjcrf150f

jrjcrf150f New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    If I encounter the same problem another time I will look into sending for necropsy as I inspected the body some and then buried her.

I did however pick up two more silver lace hens today to accompany my other hen but the meeting was anything but pleasant at first. I had to add a wall inside the coop to keep them separated and hopefully with time they will begin to take a liking to each other.

4. jrjcrf150f

jrjcrf150f New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    but I must mention one of the hens I took in today has a cross beak. The couple I received her from said it hadn't affected her at all and she eats and drinks fine but is there anything I should worry about in the future? I figure it's a condition I will have to watch over time and if i see changes address it. Other than that she is a beautiful healthy bird and has been producing eggs for them

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I once had a cross-beak hen and she ate fine.

As long as they can eat it is OK but they do have a tendency to get worse over time I have read.

I have read some threads about trimming the beak when they have trouble eating, but I would not be able to comment on that and thus if she ever has troubles you may want to search BYC for those threads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by