Lost one :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LizGled628, Oct 25, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I let my 22 week old babies (they aren't laying yet, I can still call them babies, right?!) free range during the day. Once it gets dark, they hustle into the coop and I lock it up. I lost track of time last night and forgot to close the door. My dog started barking and ran outside, and a SKUNK came running out of the coop with one of EE's in her mouth. I knew skunks liked chicken eggs, but I certainly didn't think they would ever take a whole chicken....the skunk then proceeded to spray my dog and cat and scurry into the woods.

I feel like such a bad chicken mama. I can't believe I forgot to close the door...the other five babies were sound asleep on their roost. I'm thinking maybe the skunk came in, startled the EE, and attacked her? I don't know. I feel horrible. I know this sometimes happens, but wow...I never thought I would become this attached.

2. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Oceanside, CA
    I lost 2 today because i didnt clean their pasty butts good enough so i feel your pain:(

R.I.P Duey and Luis

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Very sorry to hear that yall, losing a baby never feels good. Best thing you can do is learn from your mistakes so it won't happen again but even thing sometimes things are just destined to happen. No one is perfect so don't beat yourself up about it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by