Lost one!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pheasntpro, Aug 1, 2014.

1. pheasntpro

pheasntpro In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Last night i noticed that my white leghorn was laying on the nest for awhile, and acting kind of different they are just shy 19 wks. I have been getting 2 eggs a day from 3 of them, and then every other day get 2 good ones and one soft jelly like one. Well went out this morning and she had passed away... do i need to worry about my other chickens. Thanks

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    So very sorry! Could it be that she was egg-bound?

3. AV8RChick

AV8RChick Chirping

Feb 22, 2014
    Lake Wylie, SC
    I don't know that this is related to her passing but make sure you have some oyster shell available and I'd crush up a tums with some water and give it to the ones that are the likely culprits of the soft shelled eggs. I use an eye dropper to get that into them. I have experienced the soft shelled egg with my leghorns too. The tums (calcium) seems to rectify the problem in a hurry.

4. pheasntpro

Mar 22, 2014
    I do give them oyster shells plus they have calcium un their feed. I thought maybe she was having trouble with egg laying, so i guess I'll find out today if she's the one laying the jelly egg. I'll post tonight when i get home on them. Thanks for your replies

5. pheasntpro

Mar 22, 2014
    So my other hens are doing good and after I read about being egg bound and being new to this farming stuff I never thought of this. Boy I feel bad that it could've been prevented with alittle help. I guess I will watch closer to signs there giving me and ask for help on here. Thanks again for all your help and info....

6. AV8RChick

AV8RChick Chirping

Feb 22, 2014
    Lake Wylie, SC
    It would be easier if they could talk. There are so many things that can go wrong with them. I recommend "Chicken Health for Dummies" if you are a reader. Of course, the folks on these boards are always helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by