Lost our 1st chicken today...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jen4, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I know its chicken life but its still sad. Our chicken were out free ranging today... as usual when my husband heard them all going crazy, he went out to check on them and there was a dog out there casing them and it had killed a BO pullet!!! He threw a stick at the dog and chased it away, it took off down the road.... I'm not going to let them free range tomorrow and see if that dog comes back...

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So sorry to hear that! Most of us here know how you are feeling [​IMG]

3. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    The dog wil return...........once they taste fresh blood it's hard to stop them. find out who's dog it is and have them keep the darn thing chained up. Tell them you don't intend to loose anymore chickens....or else !!!

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm so sorry. That really stinks. I hope the rest of your flock stays safe.

5. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. After seeing my neighbor's dog for the 2nd time in my back yard (my girls are in a fortress right now...but I intend to let them free range a little here and there), I warned him that I have NO PROBLEM protecting my property. He laughed at it, but I stared at him with the "I'm-not-bullsh!$ing" look, and got the hint. The dog's chained on a run now.

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks Guys...

monathequeen - Yeah I've been worried about that... stinking dog! My husband said it looked like some kind of wolf dog and it had a collar on it, we live in the country, so I dont know if we will be able to find out who it belongs too... when it comes back and tries to eat my chickens its going to get some lead in its butt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by