Lost our baby chick :0(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calicokat, Aug 17, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Well, this AM when I went to let our 5 babies and momma out, only four chicks came out. The littlest Hamburg was lying in the crate [​IMG] I buried her, and have to tell DD when she gets off the bus soon.

I suspect that momma squished this one accidently, just not sure. There was no trauma, and nothing had gotten into the crate. We're going to move them into a larger crate today just to give some more space.

The question is, can I get a couple more chicks the same age as the girl we lost (yeah, don't forget to do the chicken math on that sentance!! [​IMG]) and just slip them in at night with momma and the 4 babies? Or will she notice since there are no eggs to hatch?

Anyone have stories about how it worked out when you tried this??

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    This is one of those life lessons situations. Consider her personality and proceed with care. Sometimes we don't know why, and there are no good answers.
    If she wants let her be part of the process. (like finding a cloth to bury the chick in). What ever works for you and your DD. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    How old are the babies now?

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    The 3 EE's are about 3 weeks, the remaining Hamburg is 1.5 weeks

5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Don`t think I would try it now,I tried a two week old under a mama and she would have accepted the baby because hers were just a day old but the two week old was scared to death of the mama and would not stay any where near her or the chicks.I did put a baby under a mama that was just a few hours old and her chicks were only a day or two old and that worked.But I think two weeks into her hatch is to late for her to accept it,she will know that it is not hers I would think,but you can try it and just stay close by and if it does not work out then you can always make a brooder for them and keep them in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by