Lost our first bird today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by phaethona, Dec 2, 2010.

1. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    hi, I don't know if this is the right place for this post-my apologies if not.

about 20 minutes ago we said goodbye to our beloved Shaft, an 8 month old black sex-link hen. I wish I'd been paying more attention, and I noticed her acting a little out of the norm yesterday, but I didn't do anything about it and now I feel horrible. I suspect she was egg bound and/or had internal breakage and/or infection. we found her under the deck tonight at lock up time and carried her inside to check her out, as we picked her up there was quite a bit of fluid coming from her vent and she was extremely lethargic and soon wouldn't even open her eyes. so I frantically looked around online trying to see if there was anything I could do, but I knew by the way she was acting that my limited efforts would likely not do her any good. But we did give her a warm bath(so I'm glad her last moments were in a nice warm house with us) but soon after that she passed. we'll miss you Shaft...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] Just about a few years ago i lost my first girl aswell [​IMG]

ETA I lost my first girl on 12/7/2008 [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    She looks beautiful! I'm very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Thanks! She really was beautiful, the 2nd picture is from when she was much younger, I wish I had a more recent one because she became so much prettier...

she was definitely one of our better birds. my daughters are really upset. I just wish I'd paid more attention and been more proactive, maybe it wouldn't have been too late...
    live and learn i guess

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Thanks! She really was beautiful, the 2nd picture is from when she was much younger, I wish I had a more recent one because she became so much prettier...

she was definitely one of our better birds. my daughters are really upset. I just wish I'd paid more attention and been more proactive, maybe it wouldn't have been too late...
    live and learn i guess

Yeah, I have four sexlinks. They're really kind and are great layers

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I am so sorry.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

9. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry (hugs) I lost a hen today, although not my first, they are all special.

10. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Oh, what a beautiful girl. My condolences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by