Lost our first duck yesterday to a Hawk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arnaudgf, Dec 18, 2013.

1. arnaudgf

arnaudgf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    So when I put the ducks to sleep last night, I found one of our Khaki Campbell dead in front of their shed.

I could find any tracks in the snow so I assumed it was a hawk and sure enough, this morning I saw it perched in a tree in the front yard.

I guess it is bound to happen from time to time, we got lucky so far as our ducks had been safe from any preds, but we were still pretty bummed last night.

They're usually good running for cover when they sense any threat but I guess she was not quick enough this time (maybe because of the cold or the snow) and the hawk got her less than a foot from cover :(

The other 5 seem to be fine but were still pretty spooked this morning. I put the water and food inside so they can eat in safety.

I hope the hawk doesn't decide to settle around here.

Any idea to try and prevent hawks for hanging out in the yard?

I know the best way would be to have a covered run, but we can't set that up for now.

Back when I was living in a city I used all CD to deter pigeons, but I'm not sure it'll work with a hawk, I guess I can try.

The shed is not big enough to have them locked up 24/7 but they always have the option to stay in if they want to. I guess I'll have to monitor the situation and hope it doesn't happen again.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Chatter I've read on the topic has included hanging CDs and other shiny, moving objects to discourage hawk attacks. Really tho, a covered run is probly the only real guarantee.

ETA: I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. arnaudgf

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks

I will try the CDs, we do have tons of those laying around the house.

And I was thinking about putting clutter in the pen, that would not bother the ducks but prevents birds of prey from having a clear and easy angle to go after the ducks. I have an old kiddie pool, may have to dig it out of the snow and find a way to use it for extra cover.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bought 2 100' rolls of this and we placed streamers and strung it up around where the flock hangs out the most since a couple weeks ago a red tail came right up to the house and killed one of our chickens. http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Guard-2-Inch-100-Feet-Repellent/dp/B009M3466U Not seen any hawks since but I'm sure they are still around just hope this keeps them off the fenced part of the property. So sorry for your loss. This repellent tape is tough and not only shines but makes a crackling sound when the wind blows through it.

5. arnaudgf

Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, thanks, I will definitely look into this

I probably can easily surround the pen with those.

The shinnies and crackling sound doesn't scare the ducks? (I'd rather have them scared than gone anyway :))

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At first yes by late afternoon the ducks didn't mind now the geese I only have 2 of them I had to catch and put into their house that first night but after that they were fine with it.

7. arnaudgf

Jul 25, 2013
    Ordered :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you, be sure to follow directions, I used gorilla tape on the end before screwing them into the wood for support they say duct tape but I didn't have any. this is how I did it over the area the flock likes to hang out in.
    [​IMG]if you look to the right of the building with the goose on it and wash tubs you'll see one of the streamers I made that's the one that scared the geese. since then we have put up more straight line tape and also added more streams to tree branches that blow real well in the wind.

9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    In my experience, once a raptor finds an easy meal, they keep coming back for more. I've seen a bald eagle standing on the ground, shaking the door to my duck pen. I'll catch hawks perched right over my goose pens, just watching. I think they're looking for a way in.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This raptor didn't get the meal it killed. I came out and scared it off. Too late for my hen though, They do get bold.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by