Lost our first Hen today :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tiffany1804, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Tiffany1804

Tiffany1804 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    We are new to owning chickens we have a modest flock of 6 1 BO 1 SLW 2 Silkies 1 Australorp and 1 Polish. 1 of our silkies acting weird on friday. I took it out of the coop and inside. I set up a nice spot for her I hand fed her water but she wouldn't eat. She was acting lathargic and would respond when I was petting her and she would crow a little. She was sneezing as well. I gave her some stuff I found at the feed store and some pedialyte she seemed to be doing better yesterday but this morning I woke up and she was gone. I'm glad she went in her sleep but I'm still very very sad she was my favorite silkie and the one I was harness training to be a therepy chicken. I'm really heartbroken.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry to hear that. Keep a good eye on your flock, because it could have been a respiratory illness with that sneezing. Those things can really sneak up on you.....

[​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. Tiffany1804

Tiffany1804 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    Quote:I've noticed the Polish has been sneezing as well but she otherwise seems just fine. She's been eating and running around as usual. I bought some powder to mix into there water that is supposed to treat and prevent the repiratory illness so hopefully that will keep the rest of my girls healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by