Lost our first home hatched Pilgrim

Discussion in 'Geese' started by brownfoxfarm, Apr 10, 2012.

1. brownfoxfarm

brownfoxfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Rural NW Illinois
    Last night our first little pilgrim goose gosling (3 days old) died. She & a gosling born the same day were just starting on feed (non-medicated starter crumbles) and I believe she choked on the feed. They have water in a small dish (a little ramekin with warm water) and they had been doing just fine. But last night we found her laid out & struggling to breathe. We tried everything we could but on such a little baby, we were unsuccessful. There were no other symptoms - active, bright-eyed, warm, normal poop, all good except she suddenly began struggling to breathe & quickly passed away.

When we've had ducks in the past I made a sort of wet mash of their feed, I did the same with our first geese when they arrived via post, but that was because they were in rough shape & I wanted to really encourage their fluid intake. Since then I've seen many comments & articles about raising goslings & rarely do they advise to feed anything in that slurry/mash state. So yesterday, when our goslings were to the point of needing to start feed, I fed small amounts of dry feed. I am very sorry I did.

I don't know if anyone else has had such an experience. But I wanted to share this heartache (the gosling was imprinting on my little daughter and she was already a very special baby) as a heads-up. I will no longer start new goslings on feed straight from the bag, but I'll be making a wet mash. I feel horrible that I could have prevented this death if I'd have gone with my original instincts.

I'm glad the gander is doing well & eating the mash with gusto. My only other consolation is knowing our other hatching babies will benefit from my sad experience.

Joyce Brandon

http://brownfoxfarm.weebly.com
    http://joycebrandon.com

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Oh, im so sorry! Good to know, thank you!

My pair turned a week old last night! And they are eating grass like crazy!

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear that. [​IMG] Tks for the info.

4. igotgoosed

igotgoosed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    I'm so sorry to hear that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by