Lost our first to the heat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babyrnlc, Aug 2, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We have been doing great with the heat. I let the girls out to run around and I water down the cage run every day. we are getting 8 eggs out of 11 hens.

Well my sil had a false labor run and I was gone all day Sunday and until late afternoon Monday. My husband watered the chickens but did not spray them down (I did not ask him to though) There were two dead chickens. One of the pullets (brown leghorn) and one of my 1 yr old barred rocks. One was in the run and one was inside the coop.

I am assuming it was the heat since we hit 109 yest. I am worried cause it will be 111 today. I will spray them down good several times.

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG] I have been putting ice chunks in their waterer as well. The heat has been horrible this year...

3. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I found one of my pullets dead this morning too. [​IMG]
    I'm sorry for your loss.

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why is it always the favorites that die????? I Lost my 2 favorite BR's in the exact same way yesterday, one in the coop and one in the run. They were both the same age (4 months) 1 roo, 1 hen and very healthy & beautiful looking birds.

This darn heat is going to kill us all!!!!
    [​IMG]

I loved that little stud rooster, RIP Samson!!!
    [​IMG]

The 2 of them when they were little.
    [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH boy, I am so sorry to hear that! Here in Ohio it's been super humid and in the upper 80s and 90s. I guess I should complain considering you folks have been having temps in the 100s!

My condolences to all of you who have lost chicks and chickens......

[​IMG]

6. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    So sorry for your loss! I am in Tulsa as well! I bought my girls a water mister yesterday and I hope that helps!

7. colebarnhart

Quote:Thanks, I'm really bummed out about it, but when I think about how hot it's been, it's really amazing that I have any survivors at all. How long have you lived in Tulsa? I think they are saying that this is the hottest that has ever been recorded in Oklahoma. It's for sure the hottest that I've ever seen it. I'm a firm believer in people just need to quit crying and everyone and everything just needs to suck it up, but darn, this summer has taken that belief past the point and my poor chickens can only pant so much. I have lots of wadding water pools for them and I have fans, but they just blow scalding hot air on them and thought I would put some ice cubes in the waterer but they melted and evaporated before I got to the coop (jkn)

8. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Im sorry for you too! It is hard!

9. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Why is it always the favorites that die????? I Lost my 2 favorite BR's in the exact same way yesterday, one in the coop and one in the run. They were both the same age (4 months) 1 roo, 1 hen and very healthy & beautiful looking birds.

This darn heat is going to kill us all!!!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/83761_7_day.jpg

I loved that little stud rooster, RIP Samson!!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/83761_034_2.jpg

The 2 of them when they were little.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/83761_067.jpg

You are right down the road from me! It is 112 today! It is supposed to be 114 tomorrow.

I did not loose any today, I have been watering them down and letting them free range.

Here was Paprika She is about a year old
    [​IMG]

Here was Princess Julia (She just started laying last week!)
    [​IMG]

10. colebarnhart

Paprika is pretty girl!!! They both are!!!! Yeah, since I lost those two, I've just got the whole coop/run totally shaded like a cave and bought a bunch of plastic planter things at DollarTree and fill them up with cold water in the morning and put some bricks in the bottom to avoid tip overs, so far so good, wish I would've done it before. But just like everyone else it takes the death of a bird before we react and fix something.

I saw on FOX23 weather it looks like next wed it's supposed to drop from it's "new normal" of 115F to 99F, HAPPY DAY, might need to wear a jacket that day [​IMG]!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by