Lost Our First Today :'(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hokankai, May 13, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My sweet little Alice got taken by a coyote this morning, after their run door was left open last night. She was my sweet Light Brahma girl who sounded like a goose and had the loudest voice of all of them. This is almost the one year anniversary of us owning chickens, and I guess this is the end of Chickens 101. The girls are going to need to be penned up from now on unless we're out there with them.

I feel so guilty. I went out last night to candle the last two eggs that are under my broody hen and must have forgotten to close the run door. They were outside and what's worse their automatic door shut them out of the coop. I guess I should be happy it only took one, but now we're going to have to be really careful now that they know they're here :'(.

RIP Sweet Alice, your goose-honks will be greatly missed [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Such a beautiful girl, sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am so sorry for the loss of Alice. She definately was a beautiful girl.

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] I know all too well the terrors of losing flock members to coyotes. I agree that you should probably keep them penned. Now that the coyote knows the chickens are there, itll most likely be coming back. Lots of luck in the future & again, so so sorry [​IMG]

5. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Omg how sad....I wondered about that happening with those automatic doors to, I am my own automatic door [​IMG]....So sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful girl [​IMG]

6. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I am SO sorry for your loss of Alice. I can see why you are so sad as she was beautiful. [​IMG]
    We have made sure ours are penned and have locks on any door so we don't have that problem.

7. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    It was my stupid fault, I should have been more focused on the safety of my birds than satiating my own curiosity to candle the eggs. She was the rooster figure of the coop and now the girls are confused and very quiet. I miss hearing her egg song from inside the house [​IMG].

I was so excited to be getting new chicks this weekend and the following week, but now I'm just sad about my poor girl. [​IMG]

8. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    So sorry for your loss of Alice. [​IMG]

9. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    So sorry [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]
    sorry for your loss!