Lost Our Guinea Hen

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
Something got our Guinea last night. She had stopped roosting in the coop sometime through my boy's hospital stay, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get her corraled in with the rest of the hens.

We found her down in the run this morning, disemboweled. I'm guessing raccoons, but she was big and pretty fiesty, so I'm not sure.

A friend of ours bought us a game camera, so in a few days, we should have it up and running. The trap is set tonight, maybe I'll have a customer in the morning.

This was the guinea hen who appeared out of the woods a few months ago and just adopted us. I feel really bad.

All of our other animals were closed up snug and we had no other losses. Although we have a secure set-up if the animals are IN the coops, and covered runs, the main run isn't covered. As soon as we can afford it, that will be fixed.

We had named her Buckwheat, 'cause she was always sounding the alarm. She was a bit of a pain in the butt at times, but I'll miss her.

RIP, Buckwheat.
sad.png

Em

I'm so sorry Em! I've been following the saga with your son's health and your difficulties with your birds during this ordeal. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time and I hope that things look up for you real soon. Tough times seem to be rampant right now and I think it's time we all just encouraged each other a little.

Keep your chin up. Things will get better!
smile.png

I'm sorry about your guinea. I know I just love mine and it would be heartbreaking.

My husband refers to ours as the "AirRaid Sirens"! They are more amusing than the chickens. Mine are about 3 months old and follow one of my Black Sexies around like they are her chicks, just to cute.

It thought I lost may have lost one of mine the other evening. They had hopped over then neighbors fence again and he had let his bloodhound not knowing they were their. (he's been helping me catch them when they hopped the fence before, the thing free eggs can get you, lol) I heard them squawking went running and found them all a flying out of there in a hurry!! Boy can they fly!!!

Last week they decided to perch on the other neighbors porch rail and just a hollar! They were staring into his pool! I tired to chase them off but he said, "Don't worry about it they fill off in a little bit" Gotta love bird people!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom