Lost our Rhode Is. Red Today, Raspy Voice the Cause?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madamvonsassypants, Jun 10, 2011.

1. madamvonsassypants

madamvonsassypants New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    Our little Rhode Island Red, Rose, passed away suddenly today. [​IMG] She was about 2, and we more or less inherited her and 2 other chickens when we rented our house in the city. The landlord was the previous owner, and she had allowed them free reign over the backyard and occasionally neighborhood. After we moved in we built a 30'x15' run, and they had adapted to the new confines very well for the most part.

However, Rose (we're pretty sure it was her) started to lay soft eggs about a month ago. Sometimes they'd squish in the nesting box, sometimes the shell would be intact, just very thin. Oyster shells, baked egg shells and the nutrients in their feed didn't seem to help. On top of that, about 2-3 weeks ago her usual squawk was replaced almost entirely by a raspy noise. Looking up information online gave us a broad range of possibilities, from the nonchalant "it will pass" to "maybe go see a vet?" to gastrointestinal diseases. She ran around and ate as she normally did, but I know they tend to hide their ailments.

Is this what killed her? And should we be worried about the other two? One is currently brooding and the other only lays eggs sporadically, but otherwise they seem to be in fine health.

If I'm overlooking something obvious, please let me know. Totally new with this chicken thing (despite being a farmgirl) and we've only had them for 2 1/2 months.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    bump..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by