Lost our run top in this snow storm

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ydkjenn, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ydkjenn

ydkjenn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I have chicken wire surrounding my run, but the sides are 6 ft dog run fencing. The chicken wire runs over the dog run panels then across the top all the way to the coop to make a run cover. This last snow storm a couple days ago pulled the 2 x 4 that held the chicken wire right off the coop and the whole thing collapsed into the run.
    Any suggestions of how to make it more secure next time? I never thought the snow would be that heavy and not go through the wire.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh Bummer!! I almost lost mine last winter, once the snow starts sticking to the wire it needs to be knocked off.
    I would suggest using 2x4 welded wire instead of chicken wire.

Post a pic of your run and maybe someone can make a suggestions to fix it.

3. ydkjenn

Dec 27, 2013
    Here's a couple pics of the coop & run sans snow. You can see the sort of saggy chicken wire across the top and the 2 x 4 near the top of the coop above the window. This last snow we got came down so fast and overnight, we woke up to it collapsed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Again I would suggest using 2x4 welded or woven wire...we got 160" of snow last winter and it's wasn't we got a freezing rain before another 8" of wet snow that anything much stuck to the wire.

But you'll probably have to support it across the span of the run walls. How wide is the run?

Make sure the 2x4 lumber is screwed into the studs of the coop with 3" screws.

5. ydkjenn

Dec 27, 2013
    The run is 12 x 12. Isn't that welded wire super expensive, especially if going across the whole thing? I thought I was in the studs..guess not. I'll try screws next time.

6. ydkjenn

Dec 27, 2013
    The good thing is I only have 6 chickens in that coop(approx 6' x 8', with a shelf as a second level) so they have plenty of room for awhile since the snow's too deep and the run is not working.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, welded wire is more expensive than chicken wire....not sure how much more, you'd have to comparison shop.

I use deck screws for everything, easier to install....and easier to re-install if something fails.

For long screws in old wood(which can be hard as a rock), it's good to drill a pilot hole and/or coat screw with beeswax...they go in much easier that way.

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you lay a beam across the center of the run top, and another to the ground in the middle, as in a "T", to support the wire.

Doing so, you would half the distance of unsupported wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by