Lost our Sam today!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliawitt, Aug 4, 2011.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Sam was a New Hampshire Red. She was given to us. She took over. Watched over everyone, sang the hawk song and in general, manned the chicken house. She was the best chicken ever. She even killed a oppossum once. We swore we would never put her down, she had earned retirement. Tonight, I threw some fresh ears of corn into the pen. She had been a little sluggish which I decided was due to the heat. We had no idea how old she might have been. She had come from a nice little older ladies house. She ate some fresh niblets of corn and started acting funny. Went to her favorite bush. I went to offer her some watermelon and she was sneezey and acting like she was choking. I was shocked!! I went to clean the sick area to isolate her and give her some antibiotic, thinking she had caught something. Next thing I knew, she was convulsing. Then.....she died. I am devastated. Even my husband is very sad. She was without a doubt the bravest, best egglaying chicken ever. She will be so missed.

[​IMG]
    Doing what she did best...laying a big brown egg.
    [​IMG]

Strutting her stuff and leading the way!
    [​IMG]

Bravo, to the best chicken.........we will never be able to replace her.....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Awe sweetheart [​IMG] Rest in Peace in chicken heaven Sam. What a good girl.

4. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    [​IMG] She was beautiful.

5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I am so, so sorry for your loss. I know it's hard.
    [​IMG]

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] I know how it feels. So sorry...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Mamahalo

Mamahalo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Aw sweetie, My heart goes out to you.
    I just said goodbye my big RIR roo, Mag. I sent him off to protect some young hens on a friend's farm 70 miles away and I'm sitting here crying cause I already miss him. I was feeling foolish so I logged on here for some chicken sympathy.
    Here's to us crazy chicken ladies and our feathered friends! [​IMG]

8. BHyder1

BHyder1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Missouri
    Soo sad for you... She must have had a great life with you by her side!!

9. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Thanks everyone....had a hard time getting to sleep last night. I couldn't quit thinking about our Sam. I kept thinking, "was she sick? Did I miss any symptoms? Do I have something virulent running through my flock?" or the worst, "Did she choke on the fresh corn ears I threw to them?" It really looked like she choked......I hope I didn't kill my Sam chicken. However, I feel better this morning. All the chickies looked fine last night. When I put them to bed last night, I stood in the coop for awhile and watched and listened to all the girls. No one was looking ill, or breathing hard. No coughing, no sneezing. Just sleepy looking chickies. I will monitor everyone for the next few days and if I see any signs of illness, I will start treating. Sam's best friend was sleeping alone in "their" basket. It was very sad to come into the coop and not see Sam and her first lietenant sleeping together.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    awe I know [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I had a recent death ofmy favorite roo and it seems this is all I am thinking about. Just 2 weeks ago his "pal" (Hopper) died of a leg injury ( long time problem) and 2 days ago Hoppy died of an apparent heart attack. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by