Lost our youngest Black Giant chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beanbag, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Beanbag

Beanbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    A sad day today. Went to check on the chicks and the youngest one perished during the night. I don't know weather to be sad or angry. We were keeping them in the house in their chicken cage that was set up so there would be easy clean up that would make no mess and my mother in law was screaming to my husband that they were making the house smell and so he moved them into the outside coop but we kept them in their cage still as they are still too small for the chicken wire, we had their heat lamp and a thin sheet around the cage, but I was unhappy with the set up because I knew the youngest one was still too little and I told my husband over and over that it was going to kill the little one and he never listened. My husband and his family were raised that no matter how young a livestock animal is that it is supposed to be outside. They wouldn't even let me protest in any way shape or form, when I had said to my husband, "I told you this would happen!" My mother in law jumped down my throat about how they are outside animals. [​IMG] :thun [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry this has happened tp You and your little Giant. It is so hard when You know what is best for them but others won't listen. I will Pray that a Peace comes over You. Want You to know that others out here really do care about You and your chicks. God Bless.

3. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Quote:Thanks so much for your kind words. [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] aaaawwww I am sorry for your loss. I am bracing myself for my first loss. I have a 3 day old Salmon Faverolle that I do not think is going to make it, I keep trying and hoping she will perk up but it is not looking good.

What your MIL does not understand is simple...baby chicks in the wild have a mother who keeps them very very warm and takes care of them. They will not survive outside on their own without her. So tell MIL that even though they are 'outside' animals, they still need their mama and you little one had YOU...so ZIP IT! Suggest she read a few books on chickens before she spouts her unknowledgeable nonsense.

I had my MIL start the same stuff with me recently when she found out that my new ones are in the master bathtub (With a sheet, shavings and heat lamp). I suggested she come from Kentucky to Oregon and sit with them (all 22 of them) and keep them warm enough constantly or stay in Kentucky and ZIP IT. She chose Kentucky [​IMG] and did not ZIP IT and I suddenly have a bad phone connection and had to say GOODBYE. I have three age groups here right now and have to keep them seperated 18 week olds, 7 week olds and 3 day olds.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I am so sorry.

My MIL is the same way. I might just make sure at least one chicken is in the house at all times when she visits, after the girls are outside

6. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    my remaining 3 are still outside. The large chicken coop is on stilts at least 2-3 feet off the ground, the two ends are plywood and the long sides are just chicken wire but on one side it has a tarp covering the chicken wire and tin roofing on top so no rain can get in. Inside of that they are in a small separated cage that has smaller bars that they can not squeeze through, then a heat light in one corner and a thin bed sheet covering all but the bottom of the cage. I think these three will make it. But I fear for any new chicks we get. I may be getting some eggs from a fellow BYCer that we have to hatch and I know I'll be allowed to keep them in the house at first, but I fear they will be kicked outside too soon as well.I just hope and pray that if I do get more chicks that they've learned from this! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by