lost peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by chicknmania, Jul 27, 2014.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I've already posted this twice but I just need to post it again, just in case. We have lost our five year old peacock, Phoenix. We have had him since a baby. He's always been the more spoiled of our two cocks, especially lately. He spends most of his time hanging around the house, and when I am outside he follows me everywhere, rides on my car, rides on the gator, helps me garden, begs for treats, lies with me in the sun. He has been like my dog, and has been a big comfort to me since we had to put our real dog down last month. He is the Beta of our two cocks, but they are friends this time of year. And lately he's been making friends with the younger of our two hens

Yesterday he was outside with me all afternoon, and then I had to leave. While I was gone we had a nasty storm, my family said the lightning struck close twice and the thunder was so loud the ground shook. Phoenix would probably have been near the house alone, when the storm hit. The rest of the flock was heading for the barn before it came. After the storm passed, it cleared up again, and the sun came out.

I came home at dusk, and Phoenix was gone. The assumption is that he may have gotten scared by the lightning and thunder, and flown off. But he knows where he lives, it's hard to believe he can't find his way home, as he should be able to hear the flock, especially the roosters, for a mile or so.. We are frantically worried about him and I am more than depressed. And his brother Sapphire is acting sad...sulking in the barn, or standing and staring out over the fields. It makes me sad to see him, and I am worried that he will fret over his friend & brother being gone. He has the peahens but they don't spend much time with him/

If anyone is in Ohio near northwestern Licking County, please keep your eyes and ears tuned for him, please, and spread the word. I can't believe he is gone. Would a coyote attempt to take on a full grown male peacock? I am seriously beginning to wonder about trigger happys running around in our neck of the woods, since our peahen Princess also disappeared without a trace, last year. But we didn't hear any gunfire yesterday. I have looked, and called, and there's just nothing. I've posted this pic before, but here he is again. [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    If you had a sudden clap of thunder he most likely spooked and he is hiding somewhere till he feels safe or gets hungry which ever comes first, i got lots of free rangers and have seen them spook from sudden thunder boom or a lightning strike close by but because i have so many they come down faster to join the calling flock.

I assume you went for a long walk and made sure there was no feather trail so finding nothing is a good sign.
    keeping my fingers crossed [​IMG] and i bet he will show up by tomorrow unscathed and hungry [​IMG]

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I met a fellow at the auction last Friday who I told about one of my Black Shoulder cocks leaving the farm. I think that it got tired of the guineas harassing it. [​IMG] He told me that he thought it could come back and was thinking 'Yeah, sure".

Then he told me about a really friendly cock he had that was his buddy and was with him all the time that turned up gone on day. He thought either something got it or someone stole it. Three years later it showed back up on his porch sitting on its favorite rail like it always used to waiting for him to come out. He walked right up to it and it was like he was never gone.

Keep the faith. [​IMG]

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thank you, you guys, that gives me some hope. I'm so sad about it. I think I miss him more than I do the dog! I keep looking for him and he's not there. [​IMG] Phoenix has a favorite rail, too..on our deck. [​IMG] I want to go drive around and play pea calls out the car window, before I let the other peas out of the barn, but I cant find the tape recorder that would play loud enough!

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    My husband said the thunder was so loud it sounded like a bomb. And he was in Vietnam, he knows what they sound like. [​IMG]

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

It was early in the breeding when our BS cock wandered off and all the birds were calling a lot. We drove the gator around the section and would stop every 1/4 mile and the DW would make a good imitation of a cock call with no answer. [​IMG]

One of the local peakeepers told me that peas will wander off with the wild turkeys when they come through migrating to the higher plains to brood their young. He thought that it may come back this fall when they return to the deeper valley to over winter. I have a good scolding in mind when I see that BS. [​IMG]

7. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    Makara, Wellington, NZ
    [​IMG]
    You may have already done this, but it would be a good idea to print "Lost Pea" flyers and post them on poles around your area, at feed stores, etc.
    Also, call the local feed stores, animal control, humane society, all vets, pet stores, anyplace where someone might have called and mentioned that they saw a pea on the loose.
    And from my own experience, I suggest that you don't just call all of these places once - keep calling back, sometimes it takes a while to track 'em down.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    If you are going to play pea sound stay in one place because if you move around he will never find you , plus even turning in a different direction and playing it will pitch the sound in a different direction, just sayen [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    The lost is found. [​IMG] Neighbor (who we don't know) stopped by the house to tell us they were able to trap him in their chicken coop. [​IMG] He showed up at their house two days ago. They live way down the road from us....a mile at least. They said they were able to feed him from their hands, and lure him into the coop, lol. Another neighbor (who we both know) told him whos bird he was. [​IMG] Weird, because the direction they live in is the direction that Sapphire (Phoenix's bro) kept staring, when he was looking across the fields. Could he possibly hear him that far away? He was staring with such concentration, last night and this morning, that I knew he must know something I didn't.....

Anyway, I think we better confine Phoenix for a week or so should we?

10. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We still have the challenge of catching him and stuffing him in a dog crate for the ride home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by