Lost power for 5 hours

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, Oct 24, 2011.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I lost power for around 5 hours & I'm pretty sure my eggs that are less than 2 days in are fine but I have 4 eggs that are on day 14. My temperature got down to 65-70 degrees, is there a chance theyll make it?

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Sure there is.

I had eggs in the incubator during some hurricane this year... ((Can't keep up with the names at this point.)) We lost power for a few hours. It is a big incubator though, not sure if that would make any difference. AND they were guinea eggs...

Anyhoo, I hadn't gotten around to checking on them or turning the incubator off or even going in that room [​IMG] and: Chirp Chirp Chirp, they all hatched but one.

Point of the story: Keep cooking them. You could be pleasantly surprised!

3. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    they should be fine, well at least mine were after 8 hours...

4. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    You should definitely be ok...I have had long outages and the eggs survived just fine. In fact, I had a hen that left two eggs a couple months ago. They were very cold to the touch when I found them, anyway I popped them in the bator and had 2 babies a week and a half later. Good luck [​IMG]

5. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Oh thank you all for the good encouraging words! That makes me feel so much better!

6. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    don't worry at ALL about the 14 day olds. the 2 days olds are what to worry about [​IMG]

7. CluckCluck2

CluckCluck2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    Mine went out last night for 4 hours. I wrapped the bator in blankets but the temp dropped to 78. They are 14 days old so I'm hoping all is well. I will candle a few tonight to see. Wish us luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by