Lost power for 7 hours on day 6--- any chance they are still viable

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by porterrockwell, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. porterrockwell

    porterrockwell New Egg

    May 31, 2007
    plug got pulled, I think it was out for about 7 hours. Found them in morning, eggs were a chilly room temp, house was at 62 degrees for overnight, eggs were probably that cold, or near it.

    Have one of this high-tech little Korean incubators.. R-com, don't think it held heat for too long once plug was pulled(but are pretty sweet otherwise).

    I just kept incubating, not sure if they lived or died. Tried candleing them,but they are dark, and thick shelled and I dont have a powerful flashlight so I was unsuccessful

    At first I was sure they were dead, and figured they would start smelling bad as I continued to incubate, and that would be my sure sign they were expired. That was 5 days ago, and they have not started smelling, so I am starting to have hope. Any chance they are still viable, or should I chuck them and start again.
  2. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What day were you on? The longer they had been in there, the longer they would have held internal heat.

    62 for 7 hours is a long time my friend.

    First name wouldn't happen to be Orrin would it?[​IMG]
  3. old mill poultry

    old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 10, 2009
    Of course there is a chance! Last year we had a power outage here in pa that lasted 3 days in negative temps , thought my hatch of very expensive eggs(welsummers, jerseys and marans) were gone. We were around day 7 I remember. Granted my hatch was not great we got around 60%, but it could have been the shipped eggs. I would wait to candle around day 9 or so because they could be a little behind. Sending positve hatching vibes to you![​IMG][​IMG]
  4. Tuffoldhen

    Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

    Jan 30, 2007
    I've had power outages for hours, yes they can still hatch out, just may take an extra day.
  5. porterrockwell

    porterrockwell New Egg

    May 31, 2007
    It sounds like it is worth keeping them incubating and see what happens. Will the eggs start to smell (rot) if they are not developing?

    any I did take my online ID from my hero, Ole' Port. I liked his style.
  6. barnwife

    barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Just wait and see. If they stink, they stink, and you would know for CERTAIN you did the right thing.

    If you throw them out, and you hear a story on here about a miracle baby...you will onwder about your hatch and never know.

    Eggs, though fragile, can be incredibly resilient, too.

    Patience is a virrtue. If they don't stink yet, you are probably close to the clear.
  7. ginbart

    ginbart Overrun With Chickens

    Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I remember that time. I was doing my first hatch and cried for 3 days. I still got 50%. And then I cried again because I got that many.
  8. KareyABohr

    KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Hey, I am a dyed-in-the-wool optimist!
    You have nothing to lose by keeping them in the bator, and everything to gain!
  9. Pumpkinpup

    Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

    Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Yes, I had two outages of more than 8 hours durring the same hatch and still got two peeps! So, it is possible!
  10. chilling in muscadine

    chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

    Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Do leave them. I have a hatch going right now that on the 10th lost power for 24 hours and on the 12th lost power for 8 hours. I'm technacially on day 17 but will stop turing on day 19+ to compiciate for the loss of power. I candled again last night I have chickies alive. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by