Lost power for 7 hours on day 6--- any chance they are still viable

porterrockwell

Hatching
12 Years
May 31, 2007
plug got pulled, I think it was out for about 7 hours. Found them in morning, eggs were a chilly room temp, house was at 62 degrees for overnight, eggs were probably that cold, or near it.

Have one of this high-tech little Korean incubators.. R-com, don't think it held heat for too long once plug was pulled(but are pretty sweet otherwise).

I just kept incubating, not sure if they lived or died. Tried candleing them,but they are dark, and thick shelled and I dont have a powerful flashlight so I was unsuccessful

At first I was sure they were dead, and figured they would start smelling bad as I continued to incubate, and that would be my sure sign they were expired. That was 5 days ago, and they have not started smelling, so I am starting to have hope. Any chance they are still viable, or should I chuck them and start again.

What day were you on? The longer they had been in there, the longer they would have held internal heat.

62 for 7 hours is a long time my friend.

First name wouldn't happen to be Orrin would it?
tongue.png

Of course there is a chance! Last year we had a power outage here in pa that lasted 3 days in negative temps , thought my hatch of very expensive eggs(welsummers, jerseys and marans) were gone. We were around day 7 I remember. Granted my hatch was not great we got around 60%, but it could have been the shipped eggs. I would wait to candle around day 9 or so because they could be a little behind. Sending positve hatching vibes to you!
smile.png
jumpy.gif

It sounds like it is worth keeping them incubating and see what happens. Will the eggs start to smell (rot) if they are not developing?

any I did take my online ID from my hero, Ole' Port. I liked his style.

Just wait and see. If they stink, they stink, and you would know for CERTAIN you did the right thing.

If you throw them out, and you hear a story on here about a miracle baby...you will onwder about your hatch and never know.

Eggs, though fragile, can be incredibly resilient, too.

Patience is a virrtue. If they don't stink yet, you are probably close to the clear.

Quote:
I remember that time. I was doing my first hatch and cried for 3 days. I still got 50%. And then I cried again because I got that many.

Hey, I am a dyed-in-the-wool optimist!
You have nothing to lose by keeping them in the bator, and everything to gain!
GOOD LUCK!

Do leave them. I have a hatch going right now that on the 10th lost power for 24 hours and on the 12th lost power for 8 hours. I'm technacially on day 17 but will stop turing on day 19+ to compiciate for the loss of power. I candled again last night I have chickies alive. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom