Lost power for hours- will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Adelina, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Adelina

Adelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Co
    I have eggs at day 5 and day 2 in a still air hova bator, was gone this afternoon, came home to no power and the incubator temp at 85.6.. Threw in hot hands and wrapped with towels, .. Power is back on.. Will any of these eggs have a chance at hatching after that low temp?

2. linuxman

linuxman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Depending on how long they were down that low, they might. I wold candle them on a few days, if you can.

3. Adelina

Oct 16, 2013
    Co
    These are thick shelled olive eggers and Marons, cant see any light even with the candling light.. Lol.. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see

4. AWlowry

AWlowry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ooltewah, TN
    I am in the same situation. i have duck eggs on day 7 and lost power wednesday night its friday evening now and just got power back.
    i put some under a broody and have put the rest back in the incubator, keeping my fingers crossed.

5. Adelina

Oct 16, 2013
    Co
    All of the 11 day eggs shells are so thick no light shines.. But several of the 8 day eggs I can see development :) so should have some hatch

6. AWlowry

AWlowry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ooltewah, TN
    I would not think that an embryo would live 48 hrs with no heat. only one out of my ten duck eggs has stopped developing!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 8 eggs on day 19 ready to hatch and the power was out for twelve hours. All eight hatched though. The reason they hatched is because I put them between my legs long enough to give them enough heat until tge power came back on. Ok I know that sounded crazy but it worked

1 person likes this.
  8. Adelina

Oct 16, 2013
    Co
    Had 1 egg hatch, 3 that I killed when changing from incubator to hatcher .. But most didn't survive that temp drop.. Then my inexperienced in incubation didn't help... Nor the fact that they were shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by